Author Topic: Import from ACDSee  (Read 4844 times)

Offline LloydBloom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Import from ACDSee
« on: June 29, 2010, 05:57:25 PM »
Hello,

I am considering a purchase of PM, but am wrestling with giving up all of the tags and keywords that I have put on my 10,000+ photos cataloged in ACDSee.  I saw a post in the Support forum form 2008 which did not look very optimistic.  Has anything changed to make it easier to bring ACDSee metadata into PM?

Thanks,

lloyd

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Import from ACDSee
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »
Lloyd,

I am considering a purchase of PM, but am wrestling with giving up all of the tags and keywords that I have put on my 10,000+ photos cataloged in ACDSee.  I saw a post in the Support forum form 2008 which did not look very optimistic.  Has anything changed to make it easier to bring ACDSee metadata into PM?

Unless ACDSee puts metadata in the actual files (in the case of JPEGs, TIFFs, DNGs, PSDs and TIFF-based RAW files) or in XMP sidecar files (for any RAW photos) then PM (or really any other application in general) isn't going to be able to see the metadata that ACDSee has made.

Does ACDSee follow the standard of using IPTC and XMP metadata in the manner I described above?

-Kirk

Offline LloydBloom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »
Kirk,

You sent me in the right direction.  I am running ACDSee Pro 2.5 and it does support embedding metadata in JPEGs, etc., plus sidecar files.  When I am reading to trial PM, I will validate that these are indeed picked up, then report the results here.

Thank you,

lloyd

Offline hejeva

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:19:45 PM »
The home versions (12) will not batch write out the information into the metadata file.
In ACDSee Pro 3, you can save your organizing into the metadata by using batch set information so other applications will be able to access your organizing.