Author Topic: Picking DNG converter  (Read 4373 times)

Offline trstaley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Picking DNG converter
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:08:32 AM »
I have Photoshop CS5 and would like to convert my Canon raw files to DNG on ingest.  PM wants me to select the DNG converter file and I am unfamiliar with the name of adobe's dng converter or where to find it.  Can you please guide me?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Picking DNG converter
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:44:45 AM »
I have Photoshop CS5 and would like to convert my Canon raw files to DNG on ingest.  PM wants me to select the DNG converter file and I am unfamiliar with the name of adobe's dng converter or where to find it.  Can you please guide me?

Thanks in advance.

First you must download it.  Then install it.  Without knowing your OS platform, I cannot direct you much further, but basically once the DNG Converter is on your system, you use the 'file picker' dialog from Photo Mechanic to find the DNG Converter application and select it in the dialog.

You can read more about the DNG Converter and download the version for your OS here: http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline trstaley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »
I apologize for not making myself more clear.  A converter comes with PS CS5.  When I choose to edit a raw file from within PM, PS opens with the raw editor.  You can use the editor to do the conversion so clearly the utility to convert files is already there somewhere.  I, however, cannot locate the program that does the conversion as I do not know what it is named and am seeking help for knowing the name of the program that does the conversion so I can set it in the preferences of PM.

I am using a Mac.

Sorry for not being more precise the first time.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline trstaley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
 :)

Problem solved.  Turns out that the batch converter tool is not present by default with CS5.  Apparently there is a built in converter in the PS raw file editor.  I followed the link Kirk provided and found the download for the conversion utility, which was easily identified once installed.  That is why I could not find it the first time.  Thanks for the help.