Author Topic: Add "Remember last location" check-box to "Set GPS Coordinates"  (Read 7178 times)

Offline mewallis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New user! I'm working on a large set of vacation images that are taken in a small region, so it would be nice if the "Set GPS Coordinates" function remembered where I was the last time I used it. Also, could you provide some documentation on what the "Sync map" and "Sync GPS" check-boxes do - can't find any references in Help or the PDF manual. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Add "Remember last location" check-box to "Set GPS Coordinates"
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 08:36:35 AM »
New user! I'm working on a large set of vacation images that are taken in a small region, so it would be nice if the "Set GPS Coordinates" function remembered where I was the last time I used it. Also, could you provide some documentation on what the "Sync map" and "Sync GPS" check-boxes do - can't find any references in Help or the PDF manual. Thanks.

Sync map causes the map to change when you switch between photos (with the little navigation buttons).  Unchecked, the map is independent.
Sync GPS causes the GPS coordinates to change  when you switch between photos (with the little navigation buttons).  Unchecked, the GPS coordinates are independent.

What we need to provide as a new feature would be a 'favorite locations' interface where you can describe what the location is (GPS coordinates themselves are not all that intuitive) so you could later pick them from a list.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:32:58 PM »
Kirk,
That's exactly what I thought of and meant in the topic I started "Saving GPS coordinates".
I think it would be great to have a 'favorite locations' interface (perhaps in the IPTC Stationary Pad).
Thanks

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »
Luiz,

That's exactly what I thought of and meant in the topic I started "Saving GPS coordinates".
I think it would be great to have a 'favorite locations' interface (perhaps in the IPTC Stationary Pad).

I don't think it would be appropriate for the IPTC Stationery Pad to have GPS coordinates in it as well.  It should (in my opinion) only apply caption information.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:06:14 PM »
Yes, you are right...it should be considered (and read by other programs) as shooting information not as metadata.
thanks,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline mewallis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:16:46 PM »
Having a "Favorite Locations" list is a good idea for people who return to certain spots over and over, but my current project is a large set of vacation photos taken in dozens of locations in southern Colorado and southeast Utah. I just want "Set GPS Coordinates" to remember where I was the last time I used it so each time I change a folder I don't have to navigate thousands of miles from Oregon (or my Home Location), just the few feet or miles from the location of the last folder.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »
Having a "Favorite Locations" list is a good idea for people who return to certain spots over and over, but my current project is a large set of vacation photos taken in dozens of locations in southern Colorado and southeast Utah. I just want "Set GPS Coordinates" to remember where I was the last time I used it so each time I change a folder I don't have to navigate thousands of miles from Oregon (or my Home Location), just the few feet or miles from the location of the last folder.

Fair enough.  We'll see what we can do to do both requests in the next major version of PM.

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »
May I make a different but hopefully related request?  Could you please modify the "show map" panel so that it retains its settings -- i.e. map type and scale -- when it is reopened?  The issue is this.  Sometimes I want to tag photos based on location.  (From a set of photos that I have previously geo-tagged.)  I view the location using the "show map" feature and can move between photos using this panel.  However, when I locate a photo that I wish to tag (or color code or caption or whatever), I need to close the "show map" panel to do this.  Then, when I reopen "show map" to continue to the next photo I need to once again select satellite view and reset the scale accordingly.  (A lot of my photos are in the bush, away from named roads and features and thus a close in satellite view is often necessary for identification.)  If I am tagging a lot of photos, the constant resetting of the "show map" settings is a real nuisance.

thanks
Bob M

(Not having to close the "show map" panel to tag would be even better, but having it remember would work and seems to me to be a variation of the above requests.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »
Bob,

May I make a different but hopefully related request?  Could you please modify the "show map" panel so that it retains its settings -- i.e. map type and scale -- when it is reopened?  The issue is this.  Sometimes I want to tag photos based on location.  (From a set of photos that I have previously geo-tagged.)  I view the location using the "show map" feature and can move between photos using this panel.  However, when I locate a photo that I wish to tag (or color code or caption or whatever), I need to close the "show map" panel to do this.  Then, when I reopen "show map" to continue to the next photo I need to once again select satellite view and reset the scale accordingly.  (A lot of my photos are in the bush, away from named roads and features and thus a close in satellite view is often necessary for identification.)  If I am tagging a lot of photos, the constant resetting of the "show map" settings is a real nuisance.

What is keeping you from using the Set GPS Coordinates dialog for all of this?  You can view a photo's current GPS coordinates on the map and set subsequent photo's coordinates in the same dialog.

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:44:23 AM »
The issue is not setting the gps coordinates; I've already done that using the set GPS Coordinates dialog (works great!)  What I want to do, for example, is, on a second pass or at a much later time, go through my photos and select one or more from a specific location.  I use the map to ensure that the photo really is at the location I am looking for.  But then I can't conveniently tag (not geo-tag) the photo and move on to the next.