Author Topic: Image looks different after being converted from RAW to DNG  (Read 3973 times)

Offline trstaley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am looking for some help regarding the conversion of Canon RAW files to DNG.  I am considering migrating to storing DNG files in order to move away from having to carry sidecar files around.  In beginning to use the Adobe raw conversion utility, I notice the image is changed and want to know if this is typical or if I am doing something wrong.  I have attached two screen shots that show the original raw photo and the histogram and the converted file and the obvious compressed histogram.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image looks different after being converted from RAW to DNG
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:53:36 PM »
I am looking for some help regarding the conversion of Canon RAW files to DNG.  I am considering migrating to storing DNG files in order to move away from having to carry sidecar files around.  In beginning to use the Adobe raw conversion utility, I notice the image is changed and want to know if this is typical or if I am doing something wrong.  I have attached two screen shots that show the original raw photo and the histogram and the converted file and the obvious compressed histogram.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The original file is going to be showing the embedded JPEG generated by your camera.  The DNG converted image is going to be rendered according to how Adobe's ACR plugin would render it.  Did you adjust the image to your satisfaction in ACR before the conversion?  If you adjusted it to how you like it, the conversion should look the same as the adjusted version before the conversion.  If you didn't adjust it before conversion, you're getting the default render 'as shot' settings which may not be to your liking.

-Kirk

Offline trstaley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Image looks different after being converted from RAW to DNG
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 03:33:45 AM »
Thank you so much.  This makes perfect sense.  I now feel confident converting to DNG and not thinking I am losing image information. :)