Author Topic: Apply IPTC to selected photos in different contact sheets  (Read 5277 times)

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Apply IPTC to selected photos in different contact sheets
« on: August 29, 2006, 06:17:02 AM »
Now that I have read about organizing photos and am ready to demo a catalog (iView MP), I realize I should have used PM to update the IPTC immediately after ingesting.  Now I have multiple versions of the photos; e.g., TIF, JPEG for lab, etc. and need to apply IPTC info.  Some have duplicate IPTC info, but the caption and keywords make for few identical IPTC versions.  I have learned my lesson. 

I am in the process of upating IPTC for the RAW/Jpeg initial ingest, but I have held off updating the processed versions which are in different Windows XP folders.  I was pleased to see that PM would allow me to keep selected photos in different contact sheets simultaneously, but I haven't seen where PM will allow me to apply the Stationery Pad to these selected photos.

Is there a way to have PM do that?  If not, what is the easiest/fastest way of copying IPTC to similar photos across contact sheets?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Apply IPTC to selected photos in different contact sheets
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 07:29:23 AM »
Now that I have read about organizing photos and am ready to demo a catalog (iView MP), I realize I should have used PM to update the IPTC immediately after ingesting.  Now I have multiple versions of the photos; e.g., TIF, JPEG for lab, etc. and need to apply IPTC info.  Some have duplicate IPTC info, but the caption and keywords make for few identical IPTC versions.  I have learned my lesson. 

I am in the process of upating IPTC for the RAW/Jpeg initial ingest, but I have held off updating the processed versions which are in different Windows XP folders.  I was pleased to see that PM would allow me to keep selected photos in different contact sheets simultaneously, but I haven't seen where PM will allow me to apply the Stationery Pad to these selected photos.

While you can use the IPTC Stationery Pad on any selection of photos that have the capability of being captioned, it won't copy captions from one photo and apply it to other photos.

Quote from: RichB
Is there a way to have PM do that?  If not, what is the easiest/fastest way of copying IPTC to similar photos across contact sheets?

If you have captioned your RAW photos and want to update matching JPEGs, there is a tool for that.  It's called "Update IPTC/XMP", but I don't think it will help you in this case.  From what I can tell, you have one image that has your caption data in it, and several products of that image that are in different folders, may have different names and are not part of a RAW+JPEG pair.  We have no tool that will update in this manner.

There is something called an IPTC Snapshot which appears on the contextual menu when you right-click on a photo.  It has a submenu which has an item titled "Take" and once some IPTC data has been "Taken" you can right-click on a different image, and choose "Paste" and the IPTC data will be applied to that image.

I think this would be rather tedious if you have hundreds of images to do this with.

Another option would be to use IPTC Info on the primary image.  Use the "Copy" button.  Then use the arrow buttons to navigate to your other images and use the "Paste" button on each of them.  Use the "Save & ->" button to save the current IPTC Info and move on to the next image.

Neither of these methods would be much fun if you have hundreds of images.

Your assessment is right in that it would be best to caption your images as early as possible in your workflow before you create new images from your source images.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 01:28:48 PM »
If you have captioned your RAW photos and want to update matching JPEGs, there is a tool for that.  It's called "Update IPTC/XMP", but I don't think it will help you in this case.  From what I can tell, you have one image that has your caption data in it, and several products of that image that are in different folders, may have different names and are not part of a RAW+JPEG pair.  We have no tool that will update in this manner.

I'm confused.  When I click on the RAW+JPEG pair, I assumed I was updating both, even thought the file name pointed to JPEG.  To check, I opened each, a RAW (NEF) and the corresponding JPEG in Photoshop and both contained the caption.  However the "Update IPTC/XMP" tool implies that either the RAW or JPEG is updated, not both, and that I would have to run the tool to synch them.  What am I missing?

I have one more idea about my having several products of an image that do not have the IPTC info.  I make TIFs and then I make JPEGs to send to the photo lab.  Could I at least move the original JPEGs temporarily to another folder and then move the print lab JPEG versions to the RAW folder and use the "Update IPTC/XMP" to update the JPEGs from the RAW?  At least that would automate some of my processing.

BTW, I am now an official owner of PM.  Your amazing support is one of the deciding factors, Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 03:49:52 PM »

I'm confused.  When I click on the RAW+JPEG pair, I assumed I was updating both, even thought the file name pointed to JPEG.  To check, I opened each, a RAW (NEF) and the corresponding JPEG in Photoshop and both contained the caption.  However the "Update IPTC/XMP" tool implies that either the RAW or JPEG is updated, not both, and that I would have to run the tool to synch them.  What am I missing?

You're not missing anything.  When you have a RAW+JPEG pair, both are captioned.  The Update IPTC/XMP tool is useful for those people who keep their RAW files and their JPEGs separate and captioned one and not the other.

I have one more idea about my having several products of an image that do not have the IPTC info.  I make TIFs and then I make JPEGs to send to the photo lab.  Could I at least move the original JPEGs temporarily to another folder and then move the print lab JPEG versions to the RAW folder and use the "Update IPTC/XMP" to update the JPEGs from the RAW?  At least that would automate some of my processing.

Yes, that should work.

BTW, I am now an official owner of PM.  Your amazing support is one of the deciding factors, Kirk.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

-Kirk