Author Topic: {seqn} querries  (Read 4037 times)

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
{seqn} querries
« on: July 10, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
What's the chance of being able to select which IPTC fields will be copied (like the IPTC Staionary Pad) when utilizing the copy and paste capability in a file's IPTC Info field? At the paper, we use {seqn} in one of the IPTC fields at the ingest point. The problem comes when files are batch ingested and then tweeking is done at a later point (such as a sporting event). The same sequence number is repeated when copy and paste is invoked.

Also, I would like to have the ability to reset the sequence from the IPTC Stationary Pad.

Thanks for your time
MacBook Pro 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 2 GB SDRAM, OS 10.6.4
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:04:33 PM by dsidaway »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: {seqn} querries
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 09:22:27 PM »
What's the chance of being able to select which IPTC fields will be copied (like the IPTC Staionary Pad) when utilizing the copy and paste capability in a file's IPTC Info field? At the paper, we use {seqn} in one of the IPTC fields at the ingest point. The problem comes when files are batch ingested and then tweeking is done at a later point (such as a sporting event). The same sequence number is repeated when copy and paste is invoked.

Why are you copying from an IPTC record that has variables in it?  Normally the IPTC Info would have already been set (variables evaluated already) and there wouldn't be any variables to evaluate on the paste operation.

-Kirk

Offline dsidaway

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: {seqn} querries
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »

Why are you copying from an IPTC record that has variables in it?  Normally the IPTC Info would have already been set (variables evaluated already) and there wouldn't be any variables to evaluate on the paste operation.

-Kirk

On all jobs, I ingest the entire disc with a generic caption and then, after choosing what to send, I tweek the caption prior to FTPing. If multiple images can use the same caption, I copy and paste... because the variable is already evaluated, I'm pasting the same sequence value throughout the chosen files.

Recently we have replaced the page layout app at the paper and when a photo is connected to a story, the file's name is stripped and replaced with a new generic name. At Ingest, we add a sequence to the filename and an assignment number is added to the Trans Ref field but because the filename is stripped, the sequence number is gone... so we decided to add {seqn} to the end of the assignment number in the Trans Ref field.

If I could uncheck the Trans Ref field, then the initial sequence would not be lost when doing Copy/Paste of the IPTC.

Writing this has me thinking that I should check if this new layout app supports it's own version of variables.

I hope that makes sense.
-Dave