Author Topic: PhotoMechanic startup always pauses for a couple of minutes  (Read 4765 times)

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
This has been a problem for ages for us. I've seen other posts on this issue but they none in the last couple of years so I thought I'd refresh this issue as it's a bit of a pain in the arse.

We have three workstations and two laptops. The workstations display this issue but not the laptops.

The desktops connect at startup to two AFP (dual xeon Xserve) shares, 1 netatalk afp share on a 1.5yr old linux server and an internal drive used for time machine backups. The time machine backup drives have only been introduced recently so I wouldn't consider these being part of the issue. There have been other shares that the desktops used to connect to and PM would access but these are no longer in use and there are no directories in the favourites that relate to these old shares.

The laptops aren't usually connected to anything except when having shoots ingested into the main image share but even if I connect to the three AFP shares noted above it still starts in a couple of seconds.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PhotoMechanic startup always pauses for a couple of minutes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »
This has been a problem for ages for us. I've seen other posts on this issue but they none in the last couple of years so I thought I'd refresh this issue as it's a bit of a pain in the arse.

We have three workstations and two laptops. The workstations display this issue but not the laptops.

The desktops connect at startup to two AFP (dual xeon Xserve) shares, 1 netatalk afp share on a 1.5yr old linux server and an internal drive used for time machine backups. The time machine backup drives have only been introduced recently so I wouldn't consider these being part of the issue. There have been other shares that the desktops used to connect to and PM would access but these are no longer in use and there are no directories in the favourites that relate to these old shares.

The laptops aren't usually connected to anything except when having shoots ingested into the main image share but even if I connect to the three AFP shares noted above it still starts in a couple of seconds.

You didn't say specifically, but are these desktop machines Mac OS X systems?  What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

In the Navigator, if you right-click (Ctrl-click if you have a one button mouse) on an item you'll get a contextual menu.  One of the choices lets you set preferences for the Navigator.  One of the items in the dialog is labeled "Always check sub-folders for folders on servers".  Is that item checked or un-checked?  If it is checked then the navigator will spend more time checking each folder at the root for sub-folders so it can more accurately represent whether or not the given folder has sub-folders or not.  This definitely can take some time.  I suggest un-checking that checkbox.

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »
All macs running 4.6.4. Upgraded today to 4.6.5.
Opened the apps on each workstation, problem still there. Checked navigator prefs, "Always check sub-folders for folders on servers" wasn't checked, but the "Show finder sidebar items in Navigator" was checked and in there were several directories on the shares, so I unchecked that and whehay, opens in a flash. Thanks for the pointer.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:25:24 AM »
All macs running 4.6.4. Upgraded today to 4.6.5.
Opened the apps on each workstation, problem still there. Checked navigator prefs, "Always check sub-folders for folders on servers" wasn't checked, but the "Show finder sidebar items in Navigator" was checked and in there were several directories on the shares, so I unchecked that and whehay, opens in a flash. Thanks for the pointer.

Good to hear.  Thanks for following up.

-Kirk