Author Topic: Additional / User defined created or custom IPTC Fields  (Read 3895 times)

Offline robgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Additional / User defined created or custom IPTC Fields
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:12:47 AM »
Have been using meta data / iptc fields and photomechanics wonderful system for a good few years now, but recent changes in a picture desk i supply to ( they now use media grid and ATEX system)
i am looking to be able to pur in IPTC area "Publication Code" its an upto 5 character code specific to each newspaper picture desk, and also a send to ATEX option (YES/NO) field.
everything else will be stripped from the normal meta data fields.
can these be added or is this ATEX specific??
Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Additional / User defined created or custom IPTC Fields
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:43:05 AM »
Rob,

Have been using meta data / iptc fields and photomechanics wonderful system for a good few years now, but recent changes in a picture desk i supply to ( they now use media grid and ATEX system)
i am looking to be able to pur in IPTC area "Publication Code" its an upto 5 character code specific to each newspaper picture desk, and also a send to ATEX option (YES/NO) field.
everything else will be stripped from the normal meta data fields.
can these be added or is this ATEX specific??

What IPTC field(s) does this software expect to find these two pieces data?  Or are they expecting XMP data?

-Kirk

Offline robgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:07:02 AM »
Hi Kirk,
as far as i know the Publication Code is specific to each newspaper , but a work round is to do a prefix of each image with the appropriate code before the file name!?
the "send to ATEX" listing is only a YES / NO option, i will contact them again for more information.
They are using Media Grid which currently pulls all the metadata from my files correctly, not sure where this "send to atex" comes in !?
It would appear to be a CMS system that once the pictures are on the Media Grid system they are also shared with ATEX for wider use?
... confused ?  i am at the moment

will find out more
sorry
Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »
Rob,

as far as i know the Publication Code is specific to each newspaper , but a work round is to do a prefix of each image with the appropriate code before the file name!?
the "send to ATEX" listing is only a YES / NO option, i will contact them again for more information.
They are using Media Grid which currently pulls all the metadata from my files correctly, not sure where this "send to atex" comes in !?
It would appear to be a CMS system that once the pictures are on the Media Grid system they are also shared with ATEX for wider use?
... confused ?  i am at the moment

will find out more

OK.  Well without knowing where Media Grid pulls its information from, I can't give you an exact suggestion.  If the Media Grid system is flexible enough that it could use an existing field like Edit Status or Transmission Reference, then I would suggest using one of those fields, entering the Publication Code in one field, and just a simple Y or N in the other field.  Using the filename would work as well, though it sounds a bit clunky to me.

-Kirk