Author Topic: 4.6.5 Not responsive  (Read 34339 times)

Offline miguelr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
4.6.5 Not responsive
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:32:08 AM »
I just upgraded to  4.6.5 and I have a couple of issues:

1: In a folder with a lot of pix (3.500+) take along time to render thumbsnails
2: When finally I get the thumbsnail the program become Not Responsive..

Thanks for your help

Machine with Windows 7

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6.5 Not responsive
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:23:57 AM »
I just upgraded to  4.6.5 and I have a couple of issues:

1: In a folder with a lot of pix (3.500+) take along time to render thumbsnails
2: When finally I get the thumbsnail the program become Not Responsive..

Thanks for your help

Machine with Windows 7

What besides Photo Mechanic has changed on your system?  Nothing related to generating thumbnails or sorting in the contact sheet changed between the last version and 4.6.5.

Do you have a lot of other applications running?

If so, it could be that your system is running out of RAM and is using virtual memory via your hard drive.  This would slow things down dramatically.

What are your PM Caching settings?  More isn't always better, especially the Memory cache.  Somewhere around 256MB to 768MB is best, depending on how much RAM your system has and how much is free when running PM.

For better assistance on this sort of matter, I suggest calling our support folks at 503-547-2888.

-Kirk

Offline miguelr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »
Thanks Kirk:

Waiting for call back from Tech support.

I am not aware of changes here, except the latest update from Win 7.

I will try to install to my laptop with Win 7 Home. I have Pro on my desktop.

Miguel

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:33:13 AM »
Kirk - I had the same problem - Very slow - I actually uninstalled & reinstalled PM thinking it was a bad install.
I'm running Vista 64 bit. Nothing else changed. I've been too busy to play with it & too comment.

Just clicking from image to image often givem me the (Not Responding) message for 20 - 30 seconds.

Opening a new folder also takes an unusually long time. (20-30 seconds also with only 250 images) Little else running and recentltly rebooted.
For some reason I think it's a screen rendering issue.

I don't think this is an isolated item.

If I had the time I would go back to .4 and try that again - maybe later today or tomorrow.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:48:25 AM »
Joe,

Kirk - I had the same problem - Very slow - I actually uninstalled & reinstalled PM thinking it was a bad install.
I'm running Vista 64 bit. Nothing else changed. I've been too busy to play with it & too comment.

Just clicking from image to image often givem me the (Not Responding) message for 20 - 30 seconds.

Is this in the Contact Sheet or in the Preview window?

Quote from: JAS Photo
Opening a new folder also takes an unusually long time. (20-30 seconds also with only 250 images) Little else running and recentltly rebooted.
For some reason I think it's a screen rendering issue.

I don't think this is an isolated item.

I don't think this is happening for everyone, or we would be getting a lot more than two reports already.  Considering the number of Windows customers we have, I'd expect that tens of thousands of Windows users have started using 4.6.5 already.

Can you tell me more about your system, your images, your Caching settings, and what your default sort method is in the Contact Sheet?

Quote from: JAS Photo
If I had the time I would go back to .4 and try that again - maybe later today or tomorrow.

That would be a worthwhile test.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 03:06:41 PM »
It happends in the contact sheet. Opening up a new contact sheet will sometimes take longer. But mostly it seem to when I move from frame 1 to a frame far away or scroll thru "too fast" which is why I think it's a video/render issue.

Actually it seem like I working on my laptop over a wireless conection to file on my server - thought I'm using my main PC and a local drive.

Sometime I click on an image to select it and nothing happend then I click on it again and get the not responding - it also seem to happen more if I'm not working continuously like no as I'm typing this on another PC when I go back to select an image after typing it will be slow but then it works fine for a while.
Also if I switch to other software on this PC, coming back to PM takes 20 - 30 seconds or even a minute or more - all I do is click on an open word doc then click back to PM and I need to wait a very long time.

My contact seet has 285 Nikon D3 images jpg/nef sorted by filename.

Disk Cache Size 1024
Reserver at least 1024
Memory Cache size 1024

I'm running Vista 64bit  SP2 with 4gb RAM on a Q6600 Quad core.

I'm uninstalling now and going back to .4 I'll let you know what happens.

Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »
Joe,

It happends in the contact sheet. Opening up a new contact sheet will sometimes take longer. But mostly it seem to when I move from frame 1 to a frame far away or scroll thru "too fast" which is why I think it's a video/render issue.

Actually it seem like I working on my laptop over a wireless conection to file on my server - thought I'm using my main PC and a local drive.

Sometime I click on an image to select it and nothing happend then I click on it again and get the not responding - it also seem to happen more if I'm not working continuously like no as I'm typing this on another PC when I go back to select an image after typing it will be slow but then it works fine for a while.
Also if I switch to other software on this PC, coming back to PM takes 20 - 30 seconds or even a minute or more - all I do is click on an open word doc then click back to PM and I need to wait a very long time.

My contact seet has 285 Nikon D3 images jpg/nef sorted by filename.

Disk Cache Size 1024
Reserver at least 1024
Memory Cache size 1024

I'm running Vista 64bit  SP2 with 4gb RAM on a Q6600 Quad core.

I'm uninstalling now and going back to .4 I'll let you know what happens.

I'd also suggest setting the Memory Cache to 768 instead of 1024.

Let me know what you find.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:20:31 PM »
I could not find or download 4.6.3 or 4.6.4 - I did 4.6.1 & 4.6.2 both worked flawlessly and fast.

If you can point me to download .3 & or .4 I'd be happy to try them also. in the mean time I am going to put back 4.6.5 and try it again.

Joe
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »
Well I've been playing with 4.6.5 for a few minutes now and no problems. the only change I made was your's - the Memory Cache to 768 instead of 1024.

The 3rd install works like a charm.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
Kirk - I'm not sure if this is related or not but - I thought 4.6.5 was "Normal" again and I tried to ingest 3 mostly full 4gb cards & 1 8gb card with @ 5-6 gb on it using 4 Firewire 400 Lexar Pro CF card readers. The ingest seemed to stall (at least the task window did) then start working again if I tried to click on any of the incoming images in the sheet sorted by filename or go thru them the ingest would stall and I generally could not do any work while ingesting.
I don't remember this ever happening before. PM even seemed hesitant after the 3 4gb cards finished and only the 8gb card was still ingesting.
And when I was looking at the contact sheet the ingest status window would go blank and non responsive for very long periods of time.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
Joe,

Kirk - I'm not sure if this is related or not but - I thought 4.6.5 was "Normal" again and I tried to ingest 3 mostly full 4gb cards & 1 8gb card with @ 5-6 gb on it using 4 Firewire 400 Lexar Pro CF card readers. The ingest seemed to stall (at least the task window did) then start working again if I tried to click on any of the incoming images in the sheet sorted by filename or go thru them the ingest would stall and I generally could not do any work while ingesting.
I don't remember this ever happening before. PM even seemed hesitant after the 3 4gb cards finished and only the 8gb card was still ingesting.
And when I was looking at the contact sheet the ingest status window would go blank and non responsive for very long periods of time.

I don't have any ideas why it would become non-responsive.  Perhaps calling our support folks will help you find a solution faster: 503-547-2888

-Kirk

Offline katiedegraff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
just wanted to add my +1. same issue. insanely slow! went back to 4.6.4 and it's working fine

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:23:19 AM »
just wanted to add my +1. same issue. insanely slow! went back to 4.6.4 and it's working fine

I also suggest you call our support folks.  They can help you much faster over the phone than I can here on the forums.

-Kirk

Offline jakedai

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »
FWIW, I believe it is some quirk with 4.6.5.

I just uninstalled .5, reinstalled .4, and am having no problems. Sheets load quickly, like they used to, no hangs or other problems. With .5, a folder of a few hundred NEF's & JPG's was taking 2-3 minutes to load, and one of a couple thousand took, well, I don't know because I always ran out of patience after about 15 minutes. Previews also render quickly now, whereas they were taking a while with .5.

My machine is a Dell with Windows 7 x64, an i7 Quad at 2.67 GHz and 6GB of RAM. I've got - per previous suggestions - my PM settings in cache at 1024 for disk cache and 768 for memory. My images are stored on a USB Drobo with 4 TB of RAID-1 storage.

Thanks,

Jake Norton
MountainWorld Photography
www.mountainworldphoto.com

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 10:30:39 AM »
Hello,

We believe we know what is causing the issue. It appears that if you're running antivirus software and you have it set for real-time monitoring, then it restricts Photo Mechanic's access to your files.

We are working on the problem, and should have a fix posted shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Jerry