Author Topic: IPTC data in Photo Mechanic  (Read 11243 times)

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
IPTC data in Photo Mechanic
« on: August 31, 2006, 09:09:21 PM »
Good evening- I've purchased Photo Mechanic and have some questions regarding the handling of IPTC data. I am attempting to understand what IPTC fields are common among Photoshop CS2, Photo Mechanic and iView Media Pro. The test went as follows-

1. Opened blank image in CS2. Created a blank MetaData template using File Info. I then filled out each user entry field with the respective caption title for each section of the template, i.e.-Description, IPTC Contact, IPTC Content, IPTC Image, IPTC Status, Origin and (because I own iView) iView Media Pro. I saved the template.
2. I opened Bridge, selected a Nikon RAW photo and applied the metadata in the template (the captions).
3. Opened iView and all of the fields that iView has in its Metadata view were populated by the Bridge/Photoshop template data (the captions) used in #2 above.
4. Opened up Photo Mechanic, opened the same RAW photo, selected IPTC Stationary Pad. Only data showing was from data entered at injestion prior to applying captions in #2 above.

Any advice on what may be happening?
Am I opening the wrong item or not using the proper "view"?
Is there a feature in Photo Mechanic that manually updates the photo? Its late and maybe I missed it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Dave
MacMini, 8 Meg RAM, OS X 10.8.2, PM 5, Lightroom 4.2, Sony 580, Fuji X10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC data in Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 03:27:51 PM »
Dave,

Good evening- I've purchased Photo Mechanic and have some questions regarding the handling of IPTC data. I am attempting to understand what IPTC fields are common among Photoshop CS2, Photo Mechanic and iView Media Pro. The test went as follows-

1. Opened blank image in CS2. Created a blank MetaData template using File Info. I then filled out each user entry field with the respective caption title for each section of the template, i.e.-Description, IPTC Contact, IPTC Content, IPTC Image, IPTC Status, Origin and (because I own iView) iView Media Pro. I saved the template.
2. I opened Bridge, selected a Nikon RAW photo and applied the metadata in the template (the captions).
3. Opened iView and all of the fields that iView has in its Metadata view were populated by the Bridge/Photoshop template data (the captions) used in #2 above.
4. Opened up Photo Mechanic, opened the same RAW photo, selected IPTC Stationary Pad. Only data showing was from data entered at injestion prior to applying captions in #2 above.

Any advice on what may be happening?
Am I opening the wrong item or not using the proper "view"?
Is there a feature in Photo Mechanic that manually updates the photo? Its late and maybe I missed it.

Likely what is happening is that the other apps are updating an XMP sidecar file (it is a file with the same name as your NEF file, but its extension is .XMP) instead of updating the NEF file itself.  You can make PM use an XMP sidecar workflow if you would like.

Just go into the Preferences dialog and choose the IPTC/XMP tab.  You'll want your settings to look like this screenshot:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 06:15:14 PM »
Just go into the Preferences dialog and choose the IPTC/XMP tab.  You'll want your settings to look like this screenshot:

Kirk-
Thanks for the reply, but no screenshot appeared in the reply.

Dave

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 06:37:56 PM »
Kirk-
Sorry. Screen shot appeared on second look. Tried the settings, updated the using Tools->IPTC/XMP, but no change to Stationary Pane.

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 09:20:54 PM »
Dave,

Sorry. Screen shot appeared on second look. Tried the settings, updated the using Tools->IPTC/XMP, but no change to Stationary Pane.

The IPTC Stationery Pad does not show individual image IPTC data.  It is the tool that is used to apply IPTC data to many files in a batch.  You want to click on the 'i' button that appears when you put your mouse cursor over a photo.  This will show you the IPTC data for an individual photo.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 05:57:00 AM »
Kirk-
Great! Thanks very much!

Dave