Author Topic: Crop PM and LR3 (again)  (Read 5164 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
Crop PM and LR3 (again)
« on: July 24, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »
Hi Kirk,

my crops - done in PM - are not showing anymore in LR3 when I import the images into LR3. I read a lot of articles related to crops, but I didn't really understand all in detail. I understood that PM now saves the crop in its own namespace. But does it also mean that these crops cannot be handled anymore in LR3? Or do I have to set anything in PM so that LR3 is able to handle the PM crops. Or is it a bug? I made crops the crops on NEF files and used the latest PM release.

Thanks for your help,
greetings,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crop PM and LR3 (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 03:19:41 PM »
Lars,

my crops - done in PM - are not showing anymore in LR3 when I import the images into LR3. I read a lot of articles related to crops, but I didn't really understand all in detail. I understood that PM now saves the crop in its own namespace. But does it also mean that these crops cannot be handled anymore in LR3? Or do I have to set anything in PM so that LR3 is able to handle the PM crops. Or is it a bug? I made crops the crops on NEF files and used the latest PM release.

PM no longer modifies or creates ACR crop data.  There were just too many problems.  We're planning to be fully-compatible with ACR crops in the next major version of Photo Mechanic.  Until then, PM will not update or create ACR crops.

There is no bug.  The feature wasn't reliable enough so it was removed.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 01:53:49 AM »
PM no longer modifies or creates ACR crop data.  There were just too many problems.  We're planning to be fully-compatible with ACR crops in the next major version of Photo Mechanic.  Until then, PM will not update or create ACR crops.

On the one hand side it is good to hear that it isn't a bug, BUT it destroys my complete workflow :-( So I have three further questions:
  • What is the last version where crop between PM and LR is working? I really require this! (rotate would be nice to have in PM but it is not really necessary - but setting the major crop is much faster and comfortable in PM then in LR)
  • Because I'm not so famliar with different namespsces in a XMP file - is there any way to transfer the PM crop info into the ACR crop data, e.g. via exiftool? Have you or any other user reading this tried this?
  • When can we expect the "next major release" where this issue is working again?

thanks for your help,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:31:36 AM »
Lars,

On the one hand side it is good to hear that it isn't a bug, BUT it destroys my complete workflow :-( So I have three further questions:
  • What is the last version where crop between PM and LR is working? I really require this! (rotate would be nice to have in PM but it is not really necessary - but setting the major crop is much faster and comfortable in PM then in LR)
  • Because I'm not so famliar with different namespsces in a XMP file - is there any way to transfer the PM crop info into the ACR crop data, e.g. via exiftool? Have you or any other user reading this tried this?
  • When can we expect the "next major release" where this issue is working again?

1) I don't know the specific version number but probably 4.6.2.1, though it is no longer available from our website.  We remove old versions known to have bugs, replacing them with the latest best version.
2) I don't know if exif tool could do that, but the format of the data is completely different and would require calculation for the translation.
3) I don't know when it will be released.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »
Hi Kirk,

these are really, really terrible news because cropping in PM is a fundamental part of my workflow. I had the hope to simply write a script for exiftool to change the namespace back into ACR, but this idea is now not feasable when you do any PM specific calculations as you wrote.

So, do you see any chance (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE) to send me a link to a version where cropping is still working. To be honest, I didn't mentioned any bugs or big problems (in the parts of the program that I'm using), so I could live with the mentioned bugs in such a version.

Thanks in advance,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 12:53:32 PM »
Lars,

these are really, really terrible news because cropping in PM is a fundamental part of my workflow. I had the hope to simply write a script for exiftool to change the namespace back into ACR, but this idea is now not feasable when you do any PM specific calculations as you wrote.

So, do you see any chance (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE) to send me a link to a version where cropping is still working. To be honest, I didn't mentioned any bugs or big problems (in the parts of the program that I'm using), so I could live with the mentioned bugs in such a version.

I'll see if we can make it available again.

-Kirk