Author Topic: Problem with search function  (Read 5994 times)

Offline NFLineast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem with search function
« on: July 25, 2010, 12:46:16 PM »
PM: 4.6.5 Evaluation Copy
Search terms tried on support forum: "Search function" - did not find answer to my question

Hi, I am currently evaluating 4.6.5 and I have run into a problem with the search function. When I click search and put in my terms, i.e. filetype = PSD I get all sorts of files, such as jpg's etc. Even if I limit the search to only search in a directory that I know contains nothing but PSD's the contact sheet will be filled with all sorts of files.

I have also tried to use the search terms "Filename starts with - EXACT" and put in a filename that I know for certain exists. This returns an empty result set.

Any help is much appreciated.  :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with search function
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »
PM: 4.6.5 Evaluation Copy
Search terms tried on support forum: "Search function" - did not find answer to my question

Hi, I am currently evaluating 4.6.5 and I have run into a problem with the search function. When I click search and put in my terms, i.e. filetype = PSD I get all sorts of files, such as jpg's etc. Even if I limit the search to only search in a directory that I know contains nothing but PSD's the contact sheet will be filled with all sorts of files.

I have also tried to use the search terms "Filename starts with - EXACT" and put in a filename that I know for certain exists. This returns an empty result set.

Can you post a screen shot of your Search dialog?  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when composing your response.  From there you can upload a JPEG image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline NFLineast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 01:17:10 PM »
Well, this is embarrassing, but I can't get the screen dump to grab the pop up dialogue box for search so I have just taken a quick snap of the screen with the search result there. Hope that gives a reasonable reference point.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:00:06 AM »
Well, this is embarrassing, but I can't get the screen dump to grab the pop up dialogue box for search so I have just taken a quick snap of the screen with the search result there. Hope that gives a reasonable reference point.

Thanks for the screen shot.  You can use Command-Ctrl-Shift-4 to start a screen grab crop.  Clicking and dragging the mouse lets you draw your crop.  Releasing the mouse button will accept the crop, typing 'Esc' (escape key) will abort the crop.  The cropped screen shot will now be in the Clipboard.  You can open the Preview application, type Command-N (for new image) and the image will contain the contents of the Clipboard.  Save as a JPEG.  I know that sounds like a lot of steps, but it works pretty well.

In working with your examples, I found a couple of issues and have fixed them.  One is the search by File type wasn't working at all.  I have fixed that, though the file type is expressed as the Mac OS File Type (a four character code) which for a PSD file is actually 8BPS.  I also found an issue with searching any data for an Exact match.  Both problems have been fixed.

I can send you an updated build (it isn't public yet) if you would like to try it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Kirk

Offline NFLineast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:05:59 AM »
Fantastic, Kirk. Much appreciated. And yes, would very much like to try out the updated version. Thanks very much

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 07:04:32 AM »
Fantastic, Kirk. Much appreciated. And yes, would very much like to try out the updated version. Thanks very much

I sent you a personal message with all the details.

-Kirk

Offline Stephane Lacelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:09 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Similar problem, but this time in trying to limit searches to .nef file. Would you happen to know the four letter code for Mac OS filetype for NEF files? I tried NNEF withouth success...

Offline Stephane Lacelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 06:04:05 PM »
Found it! The four letter code is  "NEF ". Notice the space after the F...

For the record, .tif is TIFF.
As Kirk said, .psd is 8BPS.
.jpg is JPEG

Hope this helps...