Author Topic: Lightroom / PhotoMechanic Settings  (Read 6999 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Lightroom / PhotoMechanic Settings
« on: July 26, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »
Kirk - Is there a definative post on fixing  LR/PM compatability issues? I found a ton in my search but only got the stars working so far.
I'm setting up LR & PM on a new Windows 7 machine & I have not used LR much previously.
I tried to match the settings on page 149 in the 4.6.3 manual. My windows preference box does not match the example very well.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lightroom / PhotoMechanic Settings
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
Joe,

Kirk - Is there a definative post on fixing  LR/PM compatability issues? I found a ton in my search but only got the stars working so far.
I'm setting up LR & PM on a new Windows 7 machine & I have not used LR much previously.
I tried to match the settings on page 149 in the 4.6.3 manual. My windows preference box does not match the example very well.

You need to adopt an XMP sidecar only workflow for best results.  The easiest way of doing this is by turning off the "Allow RAW files (non DNG) to be modified for metadata and image preferences updates" checkbox in the Files tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.   Then on the same (Files) tab, set the 'Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:' popup menu to 'For all photos'.  Lastly, you need to make sure that the color class labels in the General Preferences match the same labels you use in Lightroom.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 03:45:51 PM »
hello!

I use this setup, its working in general but if I change in LR the star-rating to 0 , PM shows so changing!!
but if I change it from and value >= 0 to another value > 0, its working.
Same with color. Deleting/removing the color in LR is not shown in PM.
(even after using "saving metadata" in LR, of course)

edit: I guess is because I used before also "add embedded IPTC/XMP"
so, what about my thousands of already iptc-captioned files  (jpg, NEF) after switching to using sidecar-files?
If now for every of this image automatically a sidecarfile created.. by PM or LR ?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:52:34 PM by Brendan »
using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »
I've adjusted my PM settings - what happens to all the old images that were coded in PM before I changed the settings?
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »
Any Windows / LR / PM user - feel like walking me thru my settings - I still can't get this to work. No stars, no colors.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:22:36 PM »
I've adjusted my PM settings - what happens to all the old images that were coded in PM before I changed the settings?

In respect to which application(s)?

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
I changed the "XMP sidecar only workflow" in PM but what happens to the images color coded & stared before that change - do the old one have a xmp sidecar - not that any of the colors or stars show up in LR either way or from LR to PM.
I'm just lost.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 05:08:08 PM »
I changed the "XMP sidecar only workflow" in PM but what happens to the images color coded & stared before that change - do the old one have a xmp sidecar - not that any of the colors or stars show up in LR either way or from LR to PM.
I'm just lost.

What I think you should do first is just start with a fresh set of images to test with.  Take a few photos and Ingest them.  Then rate them.  Import them into LR.  Do the ratings show up?  If not, then get back to me and we'll check settings and perhaps have you send me some sample files so I can see what the metadata is like.

-Kirk