Author Topic: Cropping and scaling  (Read 10474 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Cropping and scaling
« on: September 01, 2006, 06:28:58 AM »
I have a folder of tiffs that I need to FTP as jpegs, but some are cropped in PM.  I don't want PM to resize all the uncropped ones, but I want to resize the cropped ones to their original size (it's a 2:3 crop to keep the correct aspect ratio).  If I set the "Scaling>To fit box:" in the FTP As dialog to the same pixel size as the uncropped images, is PM clever enough to realise that the 'correctly' sized images don't need resizing?

Alternatively I could do it in two stages, sending the cropped and uncropped in two operations and changing the scaling settings appropriately, but is there a way of selecting just the cropped ones?  Could a {cropped} variable be added to make a custom sort possible?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cropping and scaling
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 03:21:10 PM »
I have a folder of tiffs that I need to FTP as jpegs, but some are cropped in PM.  I don't want PM to resize all the uncropped ones, but I want to resize the cropped ones to their original size (it's a 2:3 crop to keep the correct aspect ratio).  If I set the "Scaling>To fit box:" in the FTP As dialog to the same pixel size as the uncropped images, is PM clever enough to realise that the 'correctly' sized images don't need resizing?

No.  It scales them anyway, and I don't know if the images would be any different.

Quote from: SamFrost
Alternatively I could do it in two stages, sending the cropped and uncropped in two operations and changing the scaling settings appropriately, but is there a way of selecting just the cropped ones?  Could a {cropped} variable be added to make a custom sort possible?

Yes, such a variable could be added.  Are you noticing a degradation in quality, or is this just a speed issue?

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 03:48:32 AM »
It's more a speed and workflow issue.  Although I guess there is some theoretical loss of quality in rescaling images, it's not something I've had an issue with.  However, there are somtimes other occasions where I've found that I've wanted to find just the cropped images, so a suitable variable would certainly be useful.  8)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 08:24:19 AM »
Sam,

It's more a speed and workflow issue.  Although I guess there is some theoretical loss of quality in rescaling images, it's not something I've had an issue with.  However, there are somtimes other occasions where I've found that I've wanted to find just the cropped images, so a suitable variable would certainly be useful.  8)

I can certainly do both a check for source and destination size being the same and just do a copy of the image bitmap data, and add a {cropped} variable.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 05:53:36 AM »
That would be great Kirk, thank you. :)

BTW, how does the FTP As function work in terms of what PM is actually doing?  The reason I ask is that I have just been trying to upload a whole batch of photographs to an FTP site, and have had a few problems.  The folder is 295 TIFF files, directly converted from EOS 1D raw files and almost 7GB in total, that I am FTPing, saved as jpeg, applying crop, and scaling to 3504px (the native size of most, upsizing the cropped ones).  Obviously it takes a while (10-15 minutes) for PM to copy the files before the FTP upload (and I undertand why you need to copy the files before uploading in case of subsequent changes made to them), but does it copy them to cache, then convert to jpeg, then commence the FTP, or is PM effectively doing a Save As straight to cache, then starting the FTP operation?  I suspect the former, as TIFF files appear in the FTP queue initially, but then they magically change to jpegs.  However I've run into problems when the FTP has hung, so I try again, and after a few cycles like this it fails becuse the hard drive fills, so presumably every attempt to send is causing the full 7GB to be held in cache each time?

(OS X 10.4.6, PM 4.4.3.2)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 07:34:48 AM »
That would be great Kirk, thank you. :)

BTW, how does the FTP As function work in terms of what PM is actually doing?  The reason I ask is that I have just been trying to upload a whole batch of photographs to an FTP site, and have had a few problems.  The folder is 295 TIFF files, directly converted from EOS 1D raw files and almost 7GB in total, that I am FTPing, saved as jpeg, applying crop, and scaling to 3504px (the native size of most, upsizing the cropped ones).  Obviously it takes a while (10-15 minutes) for PM to copy the files before the FTP upload (and I undertand why you need to copy the files before uploading in case of subsequent changes made to them), but does it copy them to cache, then convert to jpeg, then commence the FTP, or is PM effectively doing a Save As straight to cache, then starting the FTP operation?  I suspect the former, as TIFF files appear in the FTP queue initially, but then they magically change to jpegs.  However I've run into problems when the FTP has hung, so I try again, and after a few cycles like this it fails becuse the hard drive fills, so presumably every attempt to send is causing the full 7GB to be held in cache each time?

(OS X 10.4.6, PM 4.4.3.2)

It copies the files to the cache.  The copy phase is modal so that you can't go back into the contact sheet and delete them before they have been preserved.  Then as the FTP starts, each image is converted.  As soon as one image is converted, it is sent.  While an image is being sent, the other images are processed.  This continues until all images have been processed and sent.

When you say that the FTP has hung, does the "retry" button (circular arrow button) fail to start things going again?

Quitting PM and starting it up again will clear the FTP cache.

You may be better off just sending the files in smaller batches, like 50 at a time, and just before they finish add 50 more to the queue.  Repeat this until all have been sent.  (After each file has been sent, it gets deleted from the FTP cache.)

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 08:30:02 AM »
When you say that the FTP has hung, does the "retry" button (circular arrow button) fail to start things going again?

Quitting PM and starting it up again will clear the FTP cache.

You may be better off just sending the files in smaller batches, like 50 at a time, and just before they finish add 50 more to the queue.  Repeat this until all have been sent.  (After each file has been sent, it gets deleted from the FTP cache.)

No, the retry button is greyed out when the FTP has hung.  It still thinks it's sending, and seems to be connected still, but the speed drops to 0 kbps.  When I cancel the FTP, the unsent files must be remaining in cache, as when I quit and restarted PM I regained about 20GB of disc space. They're uploading at the moment and seem fine, but if it stops again I'll try smaller batches.  I had thought of doing that originally, but wanted to just start them going and leave them overnight without further attention.  It's a good few hours of upload time.

Don't they give you a day off on Sundays? ;)