Author Topic: tags missing after upgrade  (Read 2533 times)

Offline selliot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
tags missing after upgrade
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:47:33 AM »
We're running 4.6.5 on Windoze XP. Well, we just upgraded to 4.6.5 from 4.3.3, which is the source of the problem. Any tags on images in folders done in the old version do not appear when opening the same folder in the new version. Our IT dept. sought help and got a suggestion to change the order in which the metadata are read ... but that did not help.

in a week or two this may be a moot point, but in the interim everyone on the staff has edits in progress that no longer have images tagged.

any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Sean

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: tags missing after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:37:02 AM »
Sean,

We're running 4.6.5 on Windoze XP. Well, we just upgraded to 4.6.5 from 4.3.3, which is the source of the problem. Any tags on images in folders done in the old version do not appear when opening the same folder in the new version. Our IT dept. sought help and got a suggestion to change the order in which the metadata are read ... but that did not help.

in a week or two this may be a moot point, but in the interim everyone on the staff has edits in progress that no longer have images tagged.

any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Let me make sure I understand your situation.  If you use the old version of Photo Mechanic to view a particular file you'll see the tag checkbox checked, but if you use the new version of Photo Mechanic to view the same file you will see the tag checkbox unchecked?

What file format are the images that aren't working when using the new version?

Can you send me a sample image?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: tags missing after upgrade
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:03:07 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for the sample images.  The images you sent us have the PM end of file preferences out of sync with the preferences (tag, rating, etc.) contained within the IPTC and XMP data.  Version 4.6 prefers the tag data stored in the IPTC and XMP data over that of the end of file preferences.  Apparently the images in question were modified by two different versions of PM, with the last modification made by an older version (probably your 4.3.3 version) of PM which didn't update the preferences in the IPTC and XMP data.

We're going to relax that restriction in the next version of PM (just for the Tag value only.)

-Kirk