Author Topic: Cropping DPI  (Read 3251 times)

Offline The_Toff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Cropping DPI
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:24:55 AM »
I know this may have been covered before, but when I soft crop and save  I know how to set the picture size in inches but how do I set the DPI for the saved crops

Rob

Offline The_Toff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Cropping DPI
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:41:54 AM »
The reason for this is When I set the crop size at 10x8 and set the dpi to 300 when I save the soft crop and then open the saved file in photoshop the picture size is not 10x8 at 300 dpi but 6.5inches by 8 inches
Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cropping DPI
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 07:15:39 AM »
Rob,

The reason for this is When I set the crop size at 10x8 and set the dpi to 300 when I save the soft crop and then open the saved file in photoshop the picture size is not 10x8 at 300 dpi but 6.5inches by 8 inches

The DPI is really pixels per inch (or per centimeter) not dots per inch and really is just a guideline on how to interpret the pixels.  The crop you set (10x8) is just a ratio not a measurement.  Notice that when you draw your 10x8 crop you can make it as big or as small as you like.

What you'll have to do is also force the Save as dialog to scale your image as well as apply your crop.  So scale it to fit a 3000 pixel box or a 10 inch box.  You should then get your desired result in Photoshop.  But if your cropped area is small then the image will have to be scaled up when saved to be 10 inches wide.  If the cropped area is quite large (greater than 3000 pixels) then it will be scaled down in order to be 10 inches wide.

HTH,

-Kirk