Author Topic: Can't ingest images from camera  (Read 3598 times)

Offline gfikke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't ingest images from camera
« on: August 09, 2010, 02:05:12 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.5 and I run Windows Vista on my Intel-based Dell.
I have tested two other PC's as well. One with Vista and one with XP.

The problem is that I can't ingest images from my camera - Canon PowerShot G5 and Apple iPhone (the two tested so far).
I'm using USB cable.

I can see the camera in Windows Explorer.
The camera is not visible as a disk in the Navigator Window (PM).
The camera is however visible when choosing Ingest, Add (New Folder) (not as a disc) - but I can't select it.

All other programs I'm using can get the images from the camera (Adobe Photoshop Elements, ZoomBrowser, iTunes (iPhone), and others)

When I tested the program (4.6.3) - before I purchased it - everything worked well. So for me it looks like the registered program complicates somehting....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't ingest images from camera
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.5 and I run Windows Vista on my Intel-based Dell.
I have tested two other PC's as well. One with Vista and one with XP.

The problem is that I can't ingest images from my camera - Canon PowerShot G5 and Apple iPhone (the two tested so far).
I'm using USB cable.

I can see the camera in Windows Explorer.
The camera is not visible as a disk in the Navigator Window (PM).
The camera is however visible when choosing Ingest, Add (New Folder) (not as a disc) - but I can't select it.

All other programs I'm using can get the images from the camera (Adobe Photoshop Elements, ZoomBrowser, iTunes (iPhone), and others)

When I tested the program (4.6.3) - before I purchased it - everything worked well. So for me it looks like the registered program complicates somehting....

Nothing changes between a demo and a registered version of Photo Mechanic other than there is no demo expiration date.

Photo Mechanic can only ingest from actual disks, not special devices.

My suggestion is to obtain a card reader and take the card out of your Powershot G5 and put it into the card reader.  It should work fine then.

Photo Mechanic does not support ingesting data from iPhones, iPods, etc.

-Kirk

Offline gfikke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 12:14:03 AM »
Thanks Kirk for your prompt reply.
I will use a card reader.

Is it possible to get images direct from a camera (some refered examples give me that idea - and it worked for me when I tested PM for the first time)? And what can I do to integrate my Powershot G5 with Photo Mechanic?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 05:14:59 AM »
As Kirk said, PM can only access files on the card if the card (camera) gets its own drive letter (windows) or is mounted (Mac). Whether or not this happens, depends on the USB-mode of the camera. It needs to be in "Mass Storage" (UMS or MSC) mode, instead of Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) mode.

Perhaps you inadvertently changed the mode?

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl