Author Topic: Filenames in HTML Template Exporter  (Read 1864 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Filenames in HTML Template Exporter
« on: April 09, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
1. When using the HTML Template Exporter, I would prefer to use the "Use original filenames for images" option. If I do, I'll end up with filenames like this: "20110214 Joe Smith 0123.jpg". I'm not a web expert so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read many times that when it comes to websites, you're never supposed to use spaces in filenames.
I assume this must be the reason Photoshop's "Save For Web & Devices" option automatically substitutes an underscore for the spaces in filenames. So the question is, is there any way PM can do exactly the same thing, so I would end up with this: 20110214_Joe_Smith_0123.jpg"? If not, is this something that could be added to PM? If it's true that spaces are bad for web use, it would seem that eliminating the spaces in HTML Template Exporter would be a necessity.

2. I also see that when using the "Use original filenames for images" option, non-jpeg images retain their original file extension and add ".jpg" as well, which might result in "20110214 Joe Smith 0123.tif.jpg". After searching this forum I discovered that this is expected behaviour, and the reasoning makes perfect sense.
I know as far as computer filenames are concerned having extra periods don't matter. However, as filenames for the web seem to be a pickier, I'm hoping someone confirm that having the extra period in a jpg file destined for the web won't cause any grief. I haven't been able to find any info on this.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Filenames in HTML Template Exporter
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:29:04 AM »
1. When using the HTML Template Exporter, I would prefer to use the "Use original filenames for images" option. If I do, I'll end up with filenames like this: "20110214 Joe Smith 0123.jpg". I'm not a web expert so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read many times that when it comes to websites, you're never supposed to use spaces in filenames.
I assume this must be the reason Photoshop's "Save For Web & Devices" option automatically substitutes an underscore for the spaces in filenames. So the question is, is there any way PM can do exactly the same thing, so I would end up with this: 20110214_Joe_Smith_0123.jpg"? If not, is this something that could be added to PM? If it's true that spaces are bad for web use, it would seem that eliminating the spaces in HTML Template Exporter would be a necessity.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using spaces in filenames on the web.  They have to be accounted for in the HTML by 'escaping' them, but the exported HTML does this for you.

Quote from: bazography
2. I also see that when using the "Use original filenames for images" option, non-jpeg images retain their original file extension and add ".jpg" as well, which might result in "20110214 Joe Smith 0123.tif.jpg". After searching this forum I discovered that this is expected behaviour, and the reasoning makes perfect sense.
I know as far as computer filenames are concerned having extra periods don't matter. However, as filenames for the web seem to be a pickier, I'm hoping someone confirm that having the extra period in a jpg file destined for the web won't cause any grief. I haven't been able to find any info on this.

It won't cause any grief.  We've tested these methods through and through.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Re: Filenames in HTML Template Exporter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:34:20 PM »
Good to know... thanks for the reply Kirk.