Author Topic: GPS additions  (Read 5370 times)

Offline JL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • JLog
GPS additions
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:26:50 PM »
1. To be able to clear the co-ordinates without getting zero's across.
2. A way to create a saved list of locations with their co-ordinates, in the same way as it's possible to keep saved lists for the IPTC data; keywords, copyright notices, etc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS additions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »
1. To be able to clear the co-ordinates without getting zero's across.

In the photos?  In the Set GPS Coordinates dialog?  Where?  Please be as specific as possible.

Quote from: jlb
2. A way to create a saved list of locations with their co-ordinates, in the same way as it's possible to keep saved lists for the IPTC data; keywords, copyright notices, etc

In which dialog(s)?

-Kirk

Offline JL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • JLog
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
1. Yes, clearing zeros in the GPS co-ordinates dialog. I think that's what you mean. I don't have PM on my computer right now since it crashed a couple weeks ago. Will have to wait til I get back there. It's where you put the co-ordinates in the GPS box, not the photos themselves in the viewer window. Sorry I don't have the exact terms right now.

2. Same thing. Somewhere on the GPS screen. So there would be a drop-down box, or some such to choose the location and find the co-ordinates already there for ones that are used repeatedly.

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 04:41:12 AM »
I also would like to be able to remove geotagging from a photo; that is, to be able to set the gps coordinates to null rather than 0,0.  The "Set gps coordinates" dialog would seem the logical place to do it.

Offline JL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • JLog
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »
I suppose you've heard of the phenomenal screw-up by Microsoft with their Windows Live Photo Gallery whereby they automatically add GPS co-ordinates to any and every photo that has data in any IPTC location field.

I've had to delete every single GPS co-ordinate in Photo Mechanic and rewrite the legitimate ones manually. Since doing that, every photo without co-ordinates now reads as:

Latitude: N0°00.000'
Longitude: E0°00.000'

It is no longer possible to search for photos with or without GPS.

So, yes please, have no co-ordinates respond with no data.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 05:26:10 PM by JL »

Offline pmcclurk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »
My separate handheld GPS (a Garmin) gives me locations such as "N39 24.383 W76 49.327".  To save these with my photos in Photo Mechanic, I copy this from the Garmin file, and then have to tease it apart into six pieces to use the "Set GPS Coordinates" screen.  I wish I could just enter the single value, and that Photo Mechanic would parse it for me.

And for those times when I'm befuddled by all this copying and pasting (it happens) and enter coordinates for the wrong picture, I wish there was a way to delete them, not just zero them out (as others have said above).  [I see people mention ExifTool, but I haven't tried it yet.  Perhaps that will do it?]

Offline JL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • JLog
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
I was able to get rid of the zeros by using GeoSetter. http://www.geosetter.de/en/

It's run by ExifTool so same difference but it's easier to use than ExifTool directly unless you already know how.