Author Topic: Nikon D3s not visible by PM  (Read 4334 times)

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Nikon D3s not visible by PM
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
When I plug my Nikon D3s into my PC (windows 7 64 bit OS), the system can see it and I can directly transfer files from the card's folder in the camera. However, PM does not see this as an available "disc." I can also use a card reader (my usual method) with photos from the same camera, and PM can see the card in this fashion for ingest. Is there an obvious error I have made, or missing something important? I also have a D300 and PM can see the card when inside the camera directly without a problem.
thanks for any insight.
Cheers
Gary Paige

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon D3s not visible by PM
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
Gary,

When I plug my Nikon D3s into my PC (windows 7 64 bit OS), the system can see it and I can directly transfer files from the card's folder in the camera. However, PM does not see this as an available "disc." I can also use a card reader (my usual method) with photos from the same camera, and PM can see the card in this fashion for ingest. Is there an obvious error I have made, or missing something important? I also have a D300 and PM can see the card when inside the camera directly without a problem.
thanks for any insight.

You need to set your camera to be a drive by putting it into 'mass storage mode'.  If the camera does not offer that mode, then you'll have to use a dedicated card reader in order to use it with PM.

-Kirk

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:15:29 PM »
The D3s does not offer a choice, only the MTP/PTP option. This may be worth adding to PM, as this new body is likely to grow in ownership and PM usership over time.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »
While in some circumstances it would be nice for PM to be able to read directly off the camera (heck, I have a card that I can't read in my cardreader so I have to use the camera), the use of a card reader is still the best way. A while back there've been a number of discussions on the benefit of card readers on these forums, perhaps you can find them.

Regards,
    Hayo
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:22:33 PM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:48:57 AM »
Card readers are the best solution, but sometimes one is not available.  I experienced this on a long trip when my card reader broke and I could not use PM to ingest into my laptop.  Other programs can ingest from PTP (Bridge, Aperture, Image Capture, etc) and it would be good if PM had this facility.

Offline BillyDix

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »
Andrew, why not have Nikon transfer installed on your computer for situations like that. It's a free downlaod and then you can use PM.

Offline QaddisMalti

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
I love to have photos downloaded straight from D3s to my MacBook Air (using PM) without the need of a reader. Also hope that C Bits are listening as I am looking for alternatives . Honestly I do not know what are they waiting for.............

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »
I love to have photos downloaded straight from D3s to my MacBook Air (using PM) without the need of a reader. Also hope that C Bits are listening as I am looking for alternatives . Honestly I do not know what are they waiting for.............

We have no plans to implement reading directly from cameras unless card readers become unavailable for purchase.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »
I agree with BillyDix,
If something happens to your card reader, you can always use the camera program to ingest the photos to your computer. I myself have already used Canon's EOS Utility to ingest files when I lost (!!) my card reader on a trip...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi