Author Topic: cursor placement  (Read 4583 times)

Offline brettaclark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
cursor placement
« on: August 13, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »
As menial as it sounds, it used to be very nice whenever you were putting captions on more than one picture at a time, wherever you left the cursor when hitting "apply stationary to selected," the cursor would still be in the same spot when you opened them up individually.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: cursor placement
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »
As menial as it sounds, it used to be very nice whenever you were putting captions on more than one picture at a time, wherever you left the cursor when hitting "apply stationary to selected," the cursor would still be in the same spot when you opened them up individually.

For instance right in the middle of some text?  Or at the beginning or end?  What if variables or code replacement were involved and the text got a lot larger?

-Kirk

Offline brettaclark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »
Yes right in the middle of some text. We often shoot stuff like headshots and batch caption them with information about the schools, etc., then go back and put names in individually. Now I have to use the mouse to put it in the right spot whereas before I could just hit "I" while reviewing then the cursor would be in the right spot to put the name in.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »
Yes right in the middle of some text. We often shoot stuff like headshots and batch caption them with information about the schools, etc., then go back and put names in individually. Now I have to use the mouse to put it in the right spot whereas before I could just hit "I" while reviewing then the cursor would be in the right spot to put the name in.

Isn't it much faster for you to write a code replacement file for the people in the photos and simply use the code replacement for it?

If you shoot headshots I think most of the photos can be grouped by school and the only difference you have to caption is the name of the student. If you put the photo filename in a text file and write the student name after a tab you simply have to batch caption the photos with \{fbas}\

I do the same with identifying people in news photos but my captions vary not just depending who is on the photo but what he/she does and where he/she is standing on the photo. So for me all caption really needs to be manually edited. In your case this seems me otherwise (sorry if I misunderstand you).

My other solution for a situation when the only difference in photos is the name of the person on it is to write the general caption and put the person's name in the Headline field then later apply a new caption  to all photos containing the {head} variable. Or simply leave the general caption in caption field and look for the name in the Headline instead.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com