Author Topic: 'An unsupported operation was attempted'  (Read 6169 times)

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
'An unsupported operation was attempted'
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:36:09 PM »
PM 4.6.5, running under Win XP SP2.

I installed 4.6.5 without incident, placing it into a different directory from 4.6.4 (I had trouble with conflicts in the past, so I am now using separate directories for updates). I then had 4.6.3 and 4.6.4 installed as well. Time to remove the older versions. I had always been able to preserve settings when I did this. But this time, after removing the two older versions I find I have lost all Favorites. When the program launches, I get an error message "An unsupported operation was attempted." The alert appears behind the splash screen (which doesn't disappear...the alert has to be brought to the foreground by clicking on the PM item in the taskbar).

If the Favorites panel is closed, if I try to re-open it I get that same "unsupported operation was attempted" alert. When I close that dialog box, the Favorites panel opens as expected (albeit empty now, sigh).

Eeeek, what did I do wrong? I surely didn't want to lose those Favorites but they appear to be gone, gone, gone. And how do I prevent that alert from appearing so often?

I also find that if I am using the file/folder explorer within PM, if I right-click a folder and select Add To Favorites -- nothing happens. No Favorite is created. (At the very least recently opened directories do appear in "Open recent..." so it isn't as if I would have to hunt for them each time.)

In the past I recall that there was a "Send to Photo Mechanic" or "Open In Photo Mechanic" context-menu item within Windows Explorer. (I didn't use it often, so I've forgotten where exactly in the menu hierarchy it appeared). But that context-menu item is no longer available. How do I get it back?

Geez, I hope I haven't completely trashed all of my user prefs and that there's some way to get those Favorites back...or, for that matter, to be able to add them in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:38:26 PM by MikeA »
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 'An unsupported operation was attempted'
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:42:10 PM »
PM 4.6.5, running under Win XP SP2.

I installed 4.6.5 without incident, placing it into a different directory from 4.6.4 (I had trouble with conflicts in the past, so I am now using separate directories for updates). I then had 4.6.3 and 4.6.4 installed as well. Time to remove the older versions. I had always been able to preserve settings when I did this. But this time, after removing the two older versions I find I have lost all Favorites. When the program launches, I get an error message "An unsupported operation was attempted." The alert appears behind the splash screen (which doesn't disappear...the alert has to be brought to the foreground by clicking on the PM item in the taskbar).

If the Favorites panel is closed, if I try to re-open it I get that same "unsupported operation was attempted" alert. When I close that dialog box, the Favorites panel opens as expected (albeit empty now, sigh).

Eeeek, what did I do wrong? I surely didn't want to lose those Favorites but they appear to be gone, gone, gone. And how do I prevent that alert from appearing so often?

I also find that if I am using the file/folder explorer within PM, if I right-click a folder and select Add To Favorites -- nothing happens. No Favorite is created. (At the very least recently opened directories do appear in "Open recent..." so it isn't as if I would have to hunt for them each time.)

In the past I recall that there was a "Send to Photo Mechanic" or "Open In Photo Mechanic" context-menu item within Windows Explorer. (I didn't use it often, so I've forgotten where exactly in the menu hierarchy it appeared). But that context-menu item is no longer available. How do I get it back?

Geez, I hope I haven't completely trashed all of my user prefs and that there's some way to get those Favorites back...or, for that matter, to be able to add them in the first place.

Reinstall PM 4.6.5 and you should get your functionality back.

-Kirk

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »

-Kirk

Yikes, this man never sleeps. :-) Glad you were on-line...

I wondered about that but decided to wait to hear from you. Thanks. I'll give that a shot now. For future reference: would it have been better if I'd first removed the older versions and only then installed the newer one?
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 12:47:40 AM »
Just to confirm: I re-ran the installer and to see what would happen, I did not un-install 4.6.5 first. The installation ran normally and you're right -- the functionality is restored. (And the error message no longer appears.)

Thanks again.
– Anonymous cynic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:00:18 AM »

Yikes, this man never sleeps. :-) Glad you were on-line...

I wondered about that but decided to wait to hear from you. Thanks. I'll give that a shot now. For future reference: would it have been better if I'd first removed the older versions and only then installed the newer one?

Yes, absolutely.

-Kirk