Author Topic: PM useful for renaming .MTS files from Sony AVCHD camcorder  (Read 4109 times)

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
PM useful for renaming .MTS files from Sony AVCHD camcorder
« on: August 22, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »
This may be a little bit off topic, but just thought I'd share just in case others find it useful.

I use PM to rename all my digital still images using the following renaming string: {dats}_{tims}. This give me filenames like YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.<ext> which means that everything sorts nicely and I can tell when a particular image was shot just looking at the filename.

I've been struggling with management of my camcorder/video files, and through experimentation I've just discovered that I can use PM and the same {dats}_{tims} renaming string to rename the .MTS files straight off my Sony AVCHD camcorder (HDR-CX300). Now I'm able to easily identify precisely when each clip was shot without any further 'special' file browsers, and I've got a consistent filename format across my photo & video library.

Maybe support of this is obvious to other users (perhaps this works because advanced still cameras are writing out AVCHD based movie files?) but it wasn't to me, and I find this to be a really useful feature for helping to manage my ever growing video clip collection. There are lots of folks on the web searching for similar solutions.