Author Topic: Code replacement auto insert  (Read 3033 times)

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
Code replacement auto insert
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:24:59 AM »
Hi would like to see a feature where anything inserted in the "Caption" or "headline" IPTC field using code replace would also be automatically
entered into the "keywords" field. i.e. PM would assume that becuase you have entered it as a code replacement (eg a player name in a football match), then it is significant enough to go in as a keyword for that photo too. Of course this feature should be something you can turn on or off becuae some people might not want it. But it would save me alot of hassle having to enter the same data twice.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Code replacement auto insert
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:33:18 AM »
Tommy,

Hi would like to see a feature where anything inserted in the "Caption" or "headline" IPTC field using code replace would also be automatically
entered into the "keywords" field. i.e. PM would assume that becuase you have entered it as a code replacement (eg a player name in a football match), then it is significant enough to go in as a keyword for that photo too. Of course this feature should be something you can turn on or off becuae some people might not want it. But it would save me alot of hassle having to enter the same data twice.

If you were to enter the player number into a different field, like Edit Status, you could just use an IPTC Stationery Pad to look up the {status} variable and place the data in all three places in one pass.  So for instance if your Code Replacement delimiter character was '=' then you'd put:

={status}=

in the Caption, Headline, and Keywords fields.  Any photo that had a valid Code in it would then get the expanded value placed in all three fields.

The feature you're requesting wouldn't be trivial to implement since real time Code Replacement knows nothing about any particular field (or any other field for that matter) and works virtually everywhere (like in the Rename, Copy, Ingest, etc. dialogs.)

-Kirk