Author Topic: 8000 photos in one folder - PM is freezing  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
8000 photos in one folder - PM is freezing
« on: August 28, 2010, 04:11:05 AM »
Hi,

I ve a folder with over 8000 files (JPG and some NEF).

PM is freezing and does not respond over a long time (after one hour I "killed" it) when trying opening this folder as contactsheet.

PM 4.6.5.0  , Win7 64 ultimate

using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
Re: 8000 photos in one folder - PM is freezing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 05:25:14 AM »
As I had half an hour to spare I tried to test this. I put 13260 jpegs into a folder.
PM 4.6.5 on Windows 7 Ulitmate 32 bit opened contact sheet in 1min and 7 seconds but going into preview has caused PM to freeze once for about 30 seconds but has been fine since that either in preview or swapping back and forward into contact sheet. There is a funny though. If I change focus to a different window, eg IE then going back to PM causes about a 30 second delay before it will function again. Memory usage is 60% but CPU about 76% with PM using about 100% of one core.

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 05:49:37 AM »
As a follow up after about 40 minutes the delay in PM when switching between windows has gone and CPU is down to 9% so I guess PM is doing things that I don't know about.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 07:01:35 AM »
As a follow up after about 40 minutes the delay in PM when switching between windows has gone and CPU is down to 9% so I guess PM is doing things that I don't know about.

As I remember earlier discussions PM performs certain refreshes when switching applications that is why it needs some time. It checks if any part of the images has been modified by any other application.
For example an application switch could be due to going over to PhotoShop to edit anyting in an image so switching back without refresh could cause problems in PM after the images have been altered.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 07:30:26 AM »
I don't think this applies as after 40 minutes the CPU usage goes to almost 0 and switching is instant. PM must be doing something for the 40 minutes that then finishes. I suspect the fact there are 13260 images in folder may have a bearing on this.
In your case the delay should always be there (no images are modified or altered in any way) as the checks will always be the same.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 08:46:59 AM »
I don't think this applies as after 40 minutes the CPU usage goes to almost 0 and switching is instant. PM must be doing something for the 40 minutes that then finishes. I suspect the fact there are 13260 images in folder may have a bearing on this.
In your case the delay should always be there (no images are modified or altered in any way) as the checks will always be the same.

This is a known issue in 4.6.5 and will be corrected in the 4.6.6 version coming soon.

-Kirk

Offline Brendan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 02:06:15 PM »
yes, before the update it worked.

Hope this will happen soon  because I cant use my archive!!!

This is a known issue in 4.6.5 and will be corrected in the 4.6.6 version coming soon.

-Kirk

using the latest version of PM on win10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »
yes, before the update it worked.

Hope this will happen soon  because I cant use my archive!!!

You can always go back to 4.6.4 if you like.

-Kirk