Author Topic: Set GPS Coordinates - Alternative to Google Maps  (Read 5607 times)

Offline mps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Set GPS Coordinates - Alternative to Google Maps
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:46:38 AM »
I don't currently own a GPS device, so I'd to use the Set GPS Coordinates dialog to geotag my photos.
I work out of Turkey, where Google Maps is blocked by the State, so it effectively renders the dialog unusable.

My workaround is to  use Bing Maps, grab the coords of the location and manually enter them into the dialog. It's pretty slow and painful ;-)

Please can you consider supporting Bing Maps directly in the Set GPS Coordinates dialog as a selectable alternative to Google Maps?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Set GPS Coordinates - Alternative to Google Maps
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:22:36 AM »
I don't currently own a GPS device, so I'd to use the Set GPS Coordinates dialog to geotag my photos.
I work out of Turkey, where Google Maps is blocked by the State, so it effectively renders the dialog unusable.

My workaround is to  use Bing Maps, grab the coords of the location and manually enter them into the dialog. It's pretty slow and painful ;-)

Please can you consider supporting Bing Maps directly in the Set GPS Coordinates dialog as a selectable alternative to Google Maps?

I suppose it's possible, but don't you think that your state will catch on soon enough and block Bing Maps as well?

-Kirk

Offline mps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Set GPS Coordinates - Alternative to Google Maps
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:45:08 AM »
Sorry, I should have been more specific: it's not actually Google Maps which is being blocked, but You Tube. Unfortunately this results in a number of other, unrelated Google services being blocked, such as Docs, Translate and Maps.

If you *really* want all the gory details, then this URL has more information:

http://sublimeportal.com/wiki/index.php?title=YouTube_in_Turkey

I've since found the free Microsoft Pro Photography tools which allow me to geotag using Bing Maps. It would be nice to do it directly from within PM though.

I'm a British Photographer working out of Turkey on an extended stay. I guess Google blocking could be an issue for PM users working out of other countries which enforce Google censorship. I should probably just put my hand in my pocket and buy a Garmin ;-)

Thanks for considering the request.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 03:46:12 AM by msonghurst »