Author Topic: Period as separator  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Period as separator
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
What is the latest version of  PM to support the period as keyword heirarchy separator?  I made the mistake of going from 4.6.1 to the latest version and find the option to set the separator character has been removed.  I've gone back to 4.6.1 but thought I would at least update to the latest version that will work for me. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Period as separator
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »
What is the latest version of  PM to support the period as keyword heirarchy separator?  I made the mistake of going from 4.6.1 to the latest version and find the option to set the separator character has been removed.  I've gone back to 4.6.1 but thought I would at least update to the latest version that will work for me. 

I don't know which version was the last to support a user-specified separator character, but I can tell you for certain that using anything other than '|' will cause problems with other applications.

Why do you want to use '.' as your hierarchical keyword separator?

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Re: Period as separator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »
Long before I began using PM, I used, and still use, the period as a separator to set the heirarchy for my catalog program (IMatch).  I have almost 20,000 images with the keyword heirarchy embedded (mostly NEF) using the period and I'm not about to go back through those to change it.  The period does not cause me any problems (I do not use Adobe products so that's not an issue, although I tried an early version of Lightroom and had no problems reading my current files). When I have some time, I may setup some test files on a laptop to see how mixed files, some with periods and some with the pipe, work together. I'm not going to chance it with my main system until I'm convinced changing in midstream won't crash my whole setup.  For now, I'll stick with an older version of PM or go back to ingesting in my catalog program.