Author Topic: Can tif and jpeg "versions" show capture time of raw original?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline JamesD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can tif and jpeg "versions" show capture time of raw original?
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:02:58 PM »

Good PM Folks,

I am pretty good at “using” my computer and applications.
Not so good at getting “under the hood”.
Apologies if this is something I should have been able to figure out for myself.

I have PM 4.6.4 on an Intel based Mac, OS 10.6.3.

I have me a pretty nice little “Info Panel” set up.

Close to the top (logically for me) is {date}, which is, of course the capture date.

I shoot raw.
And when looking at my raw files in PM, there’s the capture date.

But when I do a raw conversion to a tif, the “Date” of the tif shows as the date the raw conversion was done and the tif file created.

Likewise if I Photoshop the tif, create a subsequent jpeg, etc., all those pictures show with their own different “Date”.

For ME, these are different versions of the SAME picture/capture, and I would like them all to show the same Date, the capture date.

Is there any way to get subsequent versions of an original to all “automatically” show the capture date?

Or if not “automatically”, at least a more elegant way to do it than using... tools | adjust capture dates and times... to do each one manually (ugh)?

Thanks,

JamesD

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can tif and jpeg "versions" show capture time of raw original?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:54 PM »
James,

I am pretty good at “using” my computer and applications.
Not so good at getting “under the hood”.
Apologies if this is something I should have been able to figure out for myself.

I have PM 4.6.4 on an Intel based Mac, OS 10.6.3.

I have me a pretty nice little “Info Panel” set up.

Close to the top (logically for me) is {date}, which is, of course the capture date.

I shoot raw.
And when looking at my raw files in PM, there’s the capture date.

But when I do a raw conversion to a tif, the “Date” of the tif shows as the date the raw conversion was done and the tif file created.

Likewise if I Photoshop the tif, create a subsequent jpeg, etc., all those pictures show with their own different “Date”.

For ME, these are different versions of the SAME picture/capture, and I would like them all to show the same Date, the capture date.

Is there any way to get subsequent versions of an original to all “automatically” show the capture date?

Or if not “automatically”, at least a more elegant way to do it than using... tools | adjust capture dates and times... to do each one manually (ugh)?

There is no automated way to do what you're requesting in PM at this time.  The closest thing is indeed the Adjust Capture Dates and Times dialog.

-Kirk