Author Topic: Keyword separator  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Keyword separator
« on: September 12, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »
This not a request for a "new" feature but a request to restore a feature of early versions: the ability to set the keyword separator.  I need the dot (period) as a separator.  Now, the pipe is not only the default it's the only possibility. 

A workaround is to enter keywords then do a search for the pipe and replace it with a period.  This adds a step to the workflow but it can work.  Right now, I'm just sticking with an earlier version which allowed the user to select the separator.  As I recall, the first version of PM I used didn't allow hierarchical keywords at all, so the addition of the feature was welcomed, by me at least.  However, removing the feature that allowed users to determine the separator is a bummer to me.

Thanks for listening.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keyword separator
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:38:52 PM »
This not a request for a "new" feature but a request to restore a feature of early versions: the ability to set the keyword separator.  I need the dot (period) as a separator.  Now, the pipe is not only the default it's the only possibility. 

A workaround is to enter keywords then do a search for the pipe and replace it with a period.  This adds a step to the workflow but it can work.  Right now, I'm just sticking with an earlier version which allowed the user to select the separator.  As I recall, the first version of PM I used didn't allow hierarchical keywords at all, so the addition of the feature was welcomed, by me at least.  However, removing the feature that allowed users to determine the separator is a bummer to me.

While such a feature would be useful for you, it would cause no end of support issues for us when people would change it from the default '|' character and they tried to use other applications (especially Adobe products.)  I know from your posting in the Support section that you don't use Adobe products (at least not for metadata work) but a large majority of our customers do use Adobe products.

We'll have to think about this some more and come up with a way (perhaps a warning about the issues that can occur when the separator character is changed from the default) to keep support costs down.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Re: Keyword separator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:36:38 AM »
Thanks Kirk for the quick response. My disappointment in PM is that you "changed horses" from one version to another. The ability to change the separator was there but now it's gone.  Obviously, you know what problems it caused on your end and felt the need to dumb down the program.  I understand that you need to go with the majority of users. I did try to change my cataloging program to accept the pipe in place of the dot.  It will accept it but of course I now have double keyword entries: the old ones with the dot remain and the ones with a pipe are added as new entries.  Since they are "different" as far as the software is concerned, I understand why this happens.  I could replace all dots with pipes in the keywords then re-read all the images into a new catalog but I'm not willing to invest that much time redoing something that's already done.  If I were moving to a new cataloging program such as the one from CameraBits :-) I might consider the change.  For now, I'll do some speed testing and use an older version; search and replace the pipe with a dot; or use the cataloging program to ingest and abandon PM depending upon the time it takes.  I'm sort of a "binge" shooter you might say.  I don't shoot everyday and even when I do, it's only 300-400 images so search and replace is probably the best speed option for me right now.