Author Topic: Problem with PM slide show  (Read 3157 times)

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem with PM slide show
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:24 AM »
Hi!

I'm having a problem with PM SlideShow reading/displaying the text/encoding correctly(and only in the PMslideshow templt, all others work just fine) The export seems to run fine, but PMslideshow doesn't read the "latin10 scandinavian" encoding I have set for PM and displays gobbeldygook instead of scandinavian characters like å,ø etc. and if a file name uses one of these characters slideshow refuses to display the image at all. There is no problem in PM itself, only after export to PMslideshow. I shoot 90+% for wires, where PhotoMech really shines with things like code replacement etc. so this isn't a killer...but as the news biz changes I find a larger percentage of work goes to direct clients, technical mags etc. who often don't have ftp servers or even dedicated mail servers, yet need multiple large high res images. For these jobs sending a slide show is great, they look, they choose, and I only send what they really need for that job. I have found that a flexibile(user controllable) slide show, rather than static pages is important to these clients hence the PMslideshow choice. However correct, language texting is also a must... and yes I  know there are plenty of other prgms. that will work, but a large part of PMs appeal is that "flow" in workflow... I don't need or want to switch programs unless I HAVE to. I am running a XPpro SP3 OS on a fujitsu laptop/PM vers.4.6.5. plenty of mem etc. though I'm sure this isn't a hardwr issue... this is only a prob. in PMslideshow and nowhere else.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with PM slide show
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
Hi,

I'm having a problem with PM SlideShow reading/displaying the text/encoding correctly(and only in the PMslideshow templt, all others work just fine) The export seems to run fine, but PMslideshow doesn't read the "latin10 scandinavian" encoding I have set for PM and displays gobbeldygook instead of scandinavian characters like å,ø etc. and if a file name uses one of these characters slideshow refuses to display the image at all.

Thanks for your posting. I'll look into it and get back to you.

--Jerry

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »
Hi Jerry... and thank you for the speedy reply! I'll be here;-}
Ned

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
Hi Ned,

I believe I've fixed the issue with accented characters. The fix will be in the next beta version of PM. Contact me privately if you wish to get the updated template before then.

Regards,
Jerry

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »
Howdy Jerry!

Super! and super fast t boot! Long day, late night & still not done here... Will send you a mail in the AM...err later in the AM;-} after coffee, when the brain starts, about getting the template. Many thanks for your help!

Fotohilsen
Ned

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
Ned,

Super! and super fast to boot! Long day, late night & still not done here... Will send you a mail in the AM...err later in the AM;-} after coffee, when the brain starts, about getting the template. Many thanks for your help!

Please try the 4.6.6 beta version:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=5843.0

It has Jerry's changes to the PMSlideShow template and should fix this problem.

-Kirk

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »
Hi Kirk,
Sorry for a slow reply from these parts... busy days... I have installed the 4.6.6 beta and it does indeed solve the character problem. Many thanks to you and Jerry for your your quick and effective help... something that aside from my buddy Paul at Idruna, is in my experience (unfortunately) a rarity from todays software folks. I'll give the beta more of a test drive in the next few days. I've also had some trouble with an unusually fragmented HD lately, and I'm wondering if maybe "footprints" of moved files... 0byte files ref another post here... might be the culprit. So far so good.
Fotohilsen
Ned

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »
Ned,

Sorry for a slow reply from these parts... busy days... I have installed the 4.6.6 beta and it does indeed solve the character problem. Many thanks to you and Jerry for your your quick and effective help... something that aside from my buddy Paul at Idruna, is in my experience (unfortunately) a rarity from todays software folks. I'll give the beta more of a test drive in the next few days. I've also had some trouble with an unusually fragmented HD lately, and I'm wondering if maybe "footprints" of moved files... 0byte files ref another post here... might be the culprit. So far so good.

4.6.6 should solve the zero-byte files issue.  PM has no control over how your drive gets fragmented.  All drives do get fragmented over time if you're adding and deleting files on a regular basis.

-Kirk