Author Topic: code replacement to fill in more than one field at a time  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Canon_Shooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
code replacement to fill in more than one field at a time
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »
Is it possible to use code replacements to fill in say 3 fields at once? e.g. I use the code replacement of "d1    Frank Jones" for a football player, and i use it    in the caption field, my editor also wants to have the persons name in the headline field and in the keyword field. At the moment i'm typing out \d1\ 3 times per photo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: code replacement to fill in more than one field at a time
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:07:06 AM »
Is it possible to use code replacements to fill in say 3 fields at once? e.g. I use the code replacement of "d1    Frank Jones" for a football player, and i use it    in the caption field, my editor also wants to have the persons name in the headline field and in the keyword field. At the moment i'm typing out \d1\ 3 times per photo

No, and adding such a feature would be difficult since Code Replacement knows nothing about the specific field it is being used in at the time.

But you could use the IPTC Stationery Pad to help you out.  You would only have to enter your code once (without the delimiters) in some unused field and then use the {variable} for that field to insert the code in the other three fields.  If this doesn't make sense, tell me the name of one of the fields that you never use for anything and I'll generate a screen shot that will illustrate how to do this.

-Kirk

Offline Canon_Shooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:16:56 AM »
fair enough, can you please show me an example.  I don't use the fields IPTC scene or tranmission ref 

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:46:04 AM »
I do what Kirk suggests all the time. Direct message me with contact info or grab my info off my webpage give me a call and I would be happy to walk you through an example.

Mike
Fairfield Photography
Fairfieldphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
I do what Kirk suggests all the time. Direct message me with contact info or grab my info off my webpage give me a call and I would be happy to walk you through an example.

Please do take Mike up on his offer.  He's very knowledgeable.

-Kirk