Author Topic: metadata with video  (Read 2612 times)

Offline tbreite

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
metadata with video
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
Hi,

We are trying to use photomechanic to input data in the IPTC field, then ftp video and the metadata is not showing up on the other end.  We are using Canon Mark IV cameras.  Can you help?

Thea Breite
The Boston Globe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: metadata with video
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:50:24 PM »
Thea,

We are trying to use photomechanic to input data in the IPTC field, then ftp video and the metadata is not showing up on the other end.  We are using Canon Mark IV cameras.  Can you help?

Photo Mechanic does not caption video files currently.

-Kirk

Offline csinclair

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:21:36 AM »
Hoping it will soon.
17" Macbook Pro Core2Duo / 8GB Ram / OSX 10.5.6 / PM 4.6.1

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »
Please add also the function to tag PDF files in PM. To do this I have to switch to Adobe Bridge. This would be good for model releases stored in the same folder as the pictures.

HM

Offline csinclair

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:14:51 AM »
So I'm in between worlds yet again concerning my workflow. Since Canon released the Log and Transfer plugin E1, it allows me to add some metadata to clips via transcoding process. So I'm going that route with my video files, but it's still not enough...(when is it, I guess).

I don't know if yet another IPTC-for-VIDEO pad would show different fields for video files, but my dream would be to have Photo Mechanic become PhotoVideo Mechanic:
1. The photo thumbnail area in the IPTC pad, if a video, would show the video instead, and play the source video file with standard quicktime control bar.
2. standard video metadata field options would change to comply or be similar to the Log and Transfer utility, and/or Final Cut Server (which has broader metadata support), and is stored.
3. Open a contact sheet of videos, and export as XML EDL for Final Cut Pro.

I'm going to post this in Feature Requests as well.
Chris.

Offline csinclair

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:43:33 AM »
I wanted to bump this conversation and see what updates have been made or new features have been projected/incorporated into the road map for Photo Mechanic development concerning metadata support for video clips shot with tapeless DLSR's, namely Canon 5D Mark II. To get specific, I'm faced with working with Artesia's digital asset management, and we're currently having to paste in metadata fields through a browser, which is time consuming. We don't have to do this with photos, which pulls IPTC/EXIF automatically. So far, I've looked at Imagine Products software, and Final Cut Server, as two leading candidates for preserving video metadata and then writing translation scripts that match Artesia. Is there an IPTC equivalent standard for video metadata structures? Does PM have plans to support it? I'd love to know the road map as I look for new solutions for my photo / VIDEO workflow.
Thanks for all your development. I love your product.
Chris.