Author Topic: Folder and images lost  (Read 1952 times)

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
Folder and images lost
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
Today something strange happened that may or may not be PM related.

I created a subfolder and moved some files into it (using PM). Then I had PM do Save As JPG to a sub-sub folder. All looked fine. Went to explorer, could not see the subfolder or files or sub-sub-folder. Pressed refresh in PM and then it all disappeared in there too.... files lost. Not in Trash, just lost.

I remember reading some time ago that PM has a unique mean way to treat illegal copies, deleting files....and figured this could be a case of that algorithm gone bad....?

Has anyone else seen this happen? Really strange and scary......

Other possibilities are virus or antivirus.......Kaspersky had updated itself some time before.....could PM do some "low level disc access" or so, that Kaspersky did not like and stopped? Will check logs and do complete virus scans tomorrow.....

Rgds
PM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Folder and images lost
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »
Today something strange happened that may or may not be PM related.

I created a subfolder and moved some files into it (using PM). Then I had PM do Save As JPG to a sub-sub folder. All looked fine. Went to explorer, could not see the subfolder or files or sub-sub-folder. Pressed refresh in PM and then it all disappeared in there too.... files lost. Not in Trash, just lost.

I remember reading some time ago that PM has a unique mean way to treat illegal copies, deleting files....and figured this could be a case of that algorithm gone bad....?

Has anyone else seen this happen? Really strange and scary......

Other possibilities are virus or antivirus.......Kaspersky had updated itself some time before.....could PM do some "low level disc access" or so, that Kaspersky did not like and stopped? Will check logs and do complete virus scans tomorrow.....

Photo Mechanic hasn't had those deterrents for years now.  Unless your version is really old ( like earlier than 4.3.8 ) your copy of PM doesn't have that code anymore.  Even when the deterrents were active, PM didn't delete anything, it just didn't copy everything or perform all of the operations requested of it.

When you drag and drop files from the contact sheet to the Favorites or Navigator, we call upon the OS to do the actual copying/moving which returns execution to us when the operation is complete.  Of the two operations you described, only the Save As function does it own writing to the disk.  As for any possible 'low level disc access', PM uses only high-level routines provided by the OS to write to your disk.

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
Re: Folder and images lost
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:07:43 AM »
Thanks Kirk, good info! Will dive into this now....