Author Topic: flash compensation info  (Read 3450 times)

Offline jseakwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
flash compensation info
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »
I am using Photo Mechanic v4.6.5 on a MacPro (Intel) running OS 10.6.4. I am shooting with Nikon D700 & D300 camera bodies. PM is not displaying flash mode or flash compensation information, forcing me to open Nikon's ViewNX2 just to see this info. Is there a way to get flash mode and flash compensation information to display accurately in Photo Mechanic?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: flash compensation info
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:32:32 PM »
I am using Photo Mechanic v4.6.5 on a MacPro (Intel) running OS 10.6.4. I am shooting with Nikon D700 & D300 camera bodies. PM is not displaying flash mode or flash compensation information, forcing me to open Nikon's ViewNX2 just to see this info. Is there a way to get flash mode and flash compensation information to display accurately in Photo Mechanic?

Probably not without a modification to Photo Mechanic itself.  We'll investigate and get back to you.

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
The flash mode and exposure compensation should be detected on these Nikon models (it has been the same for Nikon for long time - Canon has been an issue if I recall).  Use the {fcmp} variable to view flash exposure compensation.  The flash "mode" (as far as Exif is concerned) is a set of bits, and PM will return something like "on, return detected" when using the {flash} variable.  This shows things like auto/on/off and red-eye, but doesn't show things like slow sync mode.

NOTE: for the flash exposure compensation to show, you need to have a full Exif record including Nikon's maker note.  This is because the flash exposure compensation is not a standard Exif field.  So for example, if you bring a photo into Photoshop then save, you may lose the maker note and hence no {fcmp}.  The {flash} variable IS standard Exif however and should be retained with the other Exif info.

HTH.

--dennis

Offline jseakwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 06:33:51 AM »
The flash compensation info is not being reported accurately. It always says +0.0 regardless of how it was actually set when the photo was taken. That is the problem I am experiencing.

Dennis, you are saying that it should be reported accurately, but it is not.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I always set flash compensation on the flash unit rather than on the camera body. I wouldn't think that would make a difference, but I am mentioning it in case it does.

Flash compensation information is accurately shown if I open the images in Nikon ViewNX, their free browser. So the info I need to access is being recorded somewhere in the image file.

The thing is, I want to use Photo Mechanic since it is a much better program, but if I need to refer back to what my flash compensation was at the time of capture, I can't do it in Photo Mechanic. I need to solve this issue because the current wrinkle really slows down my workflow.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 09:40:15 AM »
The flash compensation info is not being reported accurately. It always says +0.0 regardless of how it was actually set when the photo was taken. That is the problem I am experiencing.

Dennis, you are saying that it should be reported accurately, but it is not.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I always set flash compensation on the flash unit rather than on the camera body. I wouldn't think that would make a difference, but I am mentioning it in case it does.

Flash compensation information is accurately shown if I open the images in Nikon ViewNX, their free browser. So the info I need to access is being recorded somewhere in the image file.

The thing is, I want to use Photo Mechanic since it is a much better program, but if I need to refer back to what my flash compensation was at the time of capture, I can't do it in Photo Mechanic. I need to solve this issue because the current wrinkle really slows down my workflow.

Please send us a sample image that illustrates the problem, and send us a screenshot of the display of the value(s) in ViewNX.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »

Got you NEF - thanks.  Verified that it indeed shows 0.0 flash exposure comp where CNX2 shows -1.3EV.

What flash(s) are you using?  I did a quick test using the popup flash on a D300s.  I can try with SB-800/900 to see if it is being reported in Nikon's maker note (that I know about).

But the question then becomes: what if you go bonkers with Nikon's Creative Lighting System and have 3 zones of flashes, each zone having multiple flashes, and each zone with a different flash exposure compensation?  Does this show up in CNX2 (and how would it)?

It sounds like Nikon may now be storing this info (flash compensation) in a new place in the maker note when set by an external flash.

I have no idea how to show things like "Front Curtain", "TTL-BL", etc since this is all non-standard Exif info (meaning it is tucked-away somewhere in Nikon's proprietary maker note).

--dennis

Offline jseakwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:06:48 AM »
I am using a Nikon SB-800 speedlight.

Yes, I can see how tracking all the data if you are using Nikon's Creative Lighting System could be tricky. And I do use that system from time to time.

But the critical information for my purposes is just the flash compensation value for the on-camera flash since in many situations it is a basic part of the exposure. I'm not that interested in front curtain, red eye, etc.

Would love to be able to see the flash compensation info in Photo Mechanic. Is there a way to do this?

Offline jseakwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »
Dennis or Kirk,

What is the status of this issue? Are you working on a fix?

Thanks,
John