Author Topic: Transfer to new computer  (Read 2471 times)

Offline dralph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Transfer to new computer
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:04:48 PM »
I am, now, running Photomechanic Ver 4.6.5 on a 64 bit Intel system, with Win 7 Pro, and an I7 chip.  I am in the process of transferring Photomechanic and all of past ingested images, well for the past couple of years, to this new machine from an elderly P4 Intel system running Windows XP Pro.

How do I insure that all data associated with the images, such as PM knowing that the image numbers have already been ingested and IPTC entries are preserved?

Thanks.  Dave Ralph

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Transfer to new computer
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »
Dave,

I am, now, running Photomechanic Ver 4.6.5 on a 64 bit Intel system, with Win 7 Pro, and an I7 chip.  I am in the process of transferring Photomechanic and all of past ingested images, well for the past couple of years, to this new machine from an elderly P4 Intel system running Windows XP Pro.

How do I insure that all data associated with the images, such as PM knowing that the image numbers have already been ingested and IPTC entries are preserved?

Nothing special needs to be done.  The data is stored in the images, or in the case of RAW files in XMP sidecar files.  So if you transfer the images and all of the files along side them to your new system, you shouldn't lose anything at all.

-Kirk

Offline dralph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »
Kirk,
     Thanks for the reply.
      I did a test, ingesting a card that included shots from the last two weekends, the prior weekend's shots having been already ingested before the switch into a dated subdirectory. 
     One difference, for the ingests from the old machine, I preserved the source directory, namely that structure found on the CF flash cards from my Nikon bodies.  Today's, on the new machine, I did not check off the preserve directory structure tick box.  Still it re-copied the last of three previous days' shooting that were on the card in addition to the new photos shot this last Saturday.
     This is hopefully a set up error on my part.  I note that the data on IPTC window was a clean start.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:47:17 PM by dralph »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00:47 PM »
Dave,

I did a test, ingesting a card that included shots from the last two weekends, the prior weekend's shots having been already ingested before the switch into a dated subdirectory. 
     One difference, for the ingests from the old machine, I preserved the source directory, namely that structure found on the CF flash cards from my Nikon bodies.  Today's, on the new machine, I did not check off the preserve directory structure tick box.  Still it re-copied the last of three previous days' shooting that were on the card in addition to the new photos shot this last Saturday.
     This is hopefully a set up error on my part.  I note that the data on IPTC window was a clean start.

The Incremental Ingest data is stored in Photo Mechanic's Cache folder.  If you copy that data from your old system to your new one then the new machine will know what the old machine had Ingested and won't do it again.  That said, each time you format your cards, the Incremental data is essentially lost since the identifier we put onto the card is erased and we can no longer identify the card.

As for your IPTC data, if you apply an IPTC Stationery Pad and it clears fields, then the data will get cleared, or are you talking about something else?

-Kirk

Offline dralph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:20:56 PM »
Data on the pad was "sticky" from one session to the next.  Not to worry.

I have a fuzzy grip on things, and will work it out.  Thanks again for the replies.

'Am enjoying PM on a much better monitor.  Sorting and selecting was the reason I bought PM in the first place.

Good night from the East Coast. I'm outa here.

Dave Ralph