Author Topic: Permissions Issue  (Read 5702 times)

Offline ambervistalux

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Permissions Issue
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:07:30 AM »
Since upgrading to Photo Mechanic 4.5.3 (from 3.7), I am constantly having problems with renaming my photos. I work at a company where my images are stored on a Windows server that I have access to. I work on a Mac Pro and access images from the server. When I try to rename images in a folder, which I have permissions to Read & Write, I get an error message which states "An error occurred while renaming photo. The operation will be cancelled and the original filenames will be restored." If I copy the folder to my desktop, I can rename the files. I never had this problem in 3.7 and am wondering if anyone else has brought this to your attention? I would appreciate any feedback you have. Does Photo Mechanic have a known issue with permissions?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Permissions Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »
Since upgrading to Photo Mechanic 4.5.3 (from 3.7), I am constantly having problems with renaming my photos. I work at a company where my images are stored on a Windows server that I have access to. I work on a Mac Pro and access images from the server. When I try to rename images in a folder, which I have permissions to Read & Write, I get an error message which states "An error occurred while renaming photo. The operation will be cancelled and the original filenames will be restored." If I copy the folder to my desktop, I can rename the files. I never had this problem in 3.7 and am wondering if anyone else has brought this to your attention? I would appreciate any feedback you have. Does Photo Mechanic have a known issue with permissions?

No and No.  But it does need to have the proper read/write permissions to succeed.  When you access your Windows server, are you connecting via AFP or SMB?  Can you do other things like apply IPTC captions, tag, rate, color class, etc. on those images on the server that you cannot rename?

What would be an example filename that wouldn't succeed when renaming on the server but would succeed on your local hard drive?

-Kirk

Offline mcblum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
I'm having the exact same issue and it's killing our productivity...  Hopefully we can find an answer.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »
Matt and others,

I'm having the exact same issue and it's killing our productivity...  Hopefully we can find an answer.

This issue has been fixed in beta 2 of Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 which you can download now from the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk