Author Topic: Cannot open 4.6.5 from windows explorer  (Read 6431 times)

Offline The_Toff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Cannot open 4.6.5 from windows explorer
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:51:24 AM »
With my past copies of PM if I opened a folder of photos in windows explorer, clicked on an image, then clicked on open with, navigated to PM and selected PM to open the image and ticked the box to always use this program thats what would happen. Not anymore, the only way I can open PM now is to open the program itself then navigate to the folder I want , then open the images I want and this is just too slow. What has gone wrong

Rob

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cannot open 4.6.5 from windows explorer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »
Rob,

With my past copies of PM if I opened a folder of photos in windows explorer, clicked on an image, then clicked on open with, navigated to PM and selected PM to open the image and ticked the box to always use this program thats what would happen. Not anymore, the only way I can open PM now is to open the program itself then navigate to the folder I want , then open the images I want and this is just too slow. What has gone wrong

What OS are you running?  What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

-Kirk

Offline The_Toff

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
Hello Kirk, My OS is XP and I have PM 4.6.5

Rob

Offline FastGlass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:40:37 AM »
I'm having this same issue. I right-click on a folder and the usual Photo Mechanic "open with" choice is not visible. Just happens on my laptop, though, not my desktop.

Running XP on both with PM 4.6.5

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »
I'm having this same issue. I right-click on a folder and the usual Photo Mechanic "open with" choice is not visible. Just happens on my laptop, though, not my desktop.

Running XP on both with PM 4.6.5

Uninstall and reinstall PM.  It should solve the problem.  A restart of your system may also be required.

-Kirk

Offline FastGlass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »

Hi Kirk:

Tried your suggestion. My problem got stranger.

Went to the control panel to uninstall PM. Computer responded that apparently PM had ALREADY been removed, and asked permission to remove listing from Program List. I said yes, PM disappeared from list of installed programs.

However, it is in fact still installed and still works fine.

I then went to the Start menu, scrolled down to PM folder, found the uninstall command there, and it too told me there was no PM to uninstall and then it disappeared from the folder's list of contents.

PM is still working fine, except for the original problem.

Tonight, downloaded and tried to reinstall PM over the existing program, but didn't get too far. The installer says PM or a program calling itself PM is already running. According to the Windows Task Manager, it is NOT running. But the installer won't proceed.

Any suggestions on how to kill PM so I can reinstall?

Thanks,
Rich Obrey

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:22:54 PM »
Rich,

Any suggestions on how to kill PM so I can reinstall?

Restarting your computer and then installing PM should be guaranteed to work.  Unless you have PM set to startup on boot somehow.

-Kirk

Offline FastGlass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 02:55:09 PM »

Yup, thanks a bunch. Restarting and reinstalling solved all my issues. My laptop must have *burped* when I did the update a while ago.