Author Topic: "Some of the characters cannot be represented in the default encoding..."  (Read 3526 times)

Offline nmf

• View Profile
Having captioned and keyworded a number of images last night I realised I could caption a couple of them better so opened Photo Mechanic this morning and made the adjustment to the first. When I tried to go to the second image via alt ] or Save -> a dialog would appear stating :

"Some of the characters cannot be represented in the default encoding and will result in data loss.

Would you like to save in the Unicode format which will preserve all of your data?"

The only changes I made this morning were to the caption and were standard English language ones.

I am guessing that the "problem" may be the word hősök that is included in the keywords but that was accepted last night and hasn't been changed or added in this mornings session. I have no problems making changes to other image captions not featuring this word.

Any ideas to the cause please ? Also what are the differences between saving in Mac Roman and Unicode ? The image affected still shows encoding as Mac Roman.

I've had a quick look in the latest updates but don't see this listed as any kind of bug.

Thank you for your help

(Mac 10.5.8 and PM v4.6.4)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Some of the characters cannot be represented in the default encoding..."
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:49:57 AM »
Having captioned and keyworded a number of images last night I realised I could caption a couple of them better so opened Photo Mechanic this morning and made the adjustment to the first. When I tried to go to the second image via alt ] or Save -> a dialog would appear stating :

"Some of the characters cannot be represented in the default encoding and will result in data loss.

Would you like to save in the Unicode format which will preserve all of your data?"

The only changes I made this morning were to the caption and were standard English language ones.

I am guessing that the "problem" may be the word hősök that is included in the keywords but that was accepted last night and hasn't been changed or added in this mornings session. I have no problems making changes to other image captions not featuring this word.

Any ideas to the cause please ? Also what are the differences between saving in Mac Roman and Unicode ? The image affected still shows encoding as Mac Roman.

I'd have to get a sample image from you to really know what is going on.

Unicode can represent virtually any character.  Mac Roman can only represent a maximum of 255 different characters that appear in its set.

Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk