Author Topic: combined raw and jpg view  (Read 7567 times)

Offline Doppelacht

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
combined raw and jpg view
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:00:57 AM »
Hallo,

I am shooting in raw and jpg at the same time, and normally use photo mechanic to display the raw and jpg file combined.
If I edit a photo, I use the raw.
The problem now is, that this changed raw is not shown in the combined mode. If I use the "not" combined mode everything is fine, and I can see my changes to the raw.
Is this, because in the combined mode the jpg only is shown? Can I change this somewhere?
This would be really helpful.

Gruss Doppelacht

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: combined raw and jpg view
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:30:13 AM »
Gruss,

I am shooting in raw and jpg at the same time, and normally use photo mechanic to display the raw and jpg file combined.
The problem now is, that this changed raw is not shown in the combined mode. If I use the "not" combined mode everything is fine, and I can see my changes to the raw.
Is this, because in the combined mode the jpg only is shown? Can I change this somewhere?

No, when viewing in RAW+JPEG mode, the JPEG is displayed.  There is no preference for choosing to view the RAW instead.

-Kirk

Offline Doppelacht

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:33:09 AM »
Hallo,

thank you for this fast answer!

Gruss Doppelacht

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »
For me it is interesting that the jpeg file is shown in combined view, since I edit my photos with DPP and PM cannot read the changes I have made to the raw file.
-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Phil Levett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Gruss,

No, when viewing in RAW+JPEG mode, the JPEG is displayed.  There is no preference for choosing to view the RAW instead.

-Kirk

Kirk - being able to switch on the raw view for jpeg + raw would be fantastic addition for my workflow. I would be very grateful if it could be a future feature? Would this be difficult to do?

thankyou
PC: Windows XP SP3, 4GB RAM
Photo Software: Capture NX2 and PM 4.6.6
Camera: Nikon D700

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »
Gruss,

-Kirk

Kirk - being able to switch on the raw view for jpeg + raw would be fantastic addition for my workflow. I would be very grateful if it could be a future feature? Would this be difficult to do?

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement.  Adding the preference is simple.  Implementing the code that would use the RAW instead of the JPEG is more difficult.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:02:08 AM »
In the Preview window you can use the Q key (on a Mac at least) to switch between the raw and the jpeg.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 05:49:25 AM »
In the Preview window you can use the Q key (on a Mac at least) to switch between the raw and the jpeg.

That forces the RAW file to be rendered.  Often what people are wanting is to see the embedded preview of their RAW file (things like Capture NX2 will update the embedded preview when adjustments are made) and rendering the RAW would make it appear as though the adjustments were lost.

-Kirk

Offline Phil Levett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »
thanks for the suggestions. Kirk is spot on; I process my RAW files in Capture NX2 and would like to see the embedded JPG of modified RAW, rather than the unmodified JPG from the RAW & JPG view

Offline Phil Levett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
OK. Is the following a viable workaround...... Is it possible to display BOTH of the following SIMULTANEOUSLY in the contact sheet:

a) If I have both a RAW and JPEG of the same image just display the embedded image in the RAW

and at the same time

b) Any photos which are just lonely JPEGs (ie no RAW) are displayed as the JPEG

Thanks for all your help

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 12:40:22 PM »
OK. Is the following a viable workaround...... Is it possible to display BOTH of the following SIMULTANEOUSLY in the contact sheet:

a) If I have both a RAW and JPEG of the same image just display the embedded image in the RAW

and at the same time

b) Any photos which are just lonely JPEGs (ie no RAW) are displayed as the JPEG

If you are viewing in RAW+JPEG mode and a RAW and a JPEG share the same base name then they will be paired up and the JPEG will be used for display purposes.  RAWs or JPEGs that don't have their opposite companion will be displayed as their own file type.

If your camera puts large previews inside its RAW files then there is really no reason to shoot in RAW+JPEG mode at all.  PM can extract the embedded preview from your RAW files and the workflow will be just as seamless as a pure JPEG workflow.

-Kirk

Offline Phil Levett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:08:29 PM »
Hi Kirk

Can you share if the new Cataloguing software will allow one to select the "embedded JPEG from the raw" with a combined JPEG & RAW "stack"

Thanks
Phil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »
Phil,

Can you share if the new Cataloguing software will allow one to select the "embedded JPEG from the raw" with a combined JPEG & RAW "stack"

That capability is not a function of whether Cataloging is present or not.  As for whether the feature will be implemented in the next major version of PM, I do not know at this point.  We're tightening up our feature list right now and we'll consider it for implementation.

-Kirk