Author Topic: PM and OS X file permissions  (Read 3065 times)

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
PM and OS X file permissions
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:13:18 AM »
OS X 10.6.4
I have permissions for a folder and all its enclosed images set to "Read only" for me and all others.

If I try to tag or set color class for these images in Photo Mechanic PM will do so and the files are altered as "Modified" and "Last opened" info in Finder shows.

How is this possible? Can an application not honor file permissions set by the OS?

Thanks for clarification!
Thomas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and OS X file permissions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:20:31 AM »
Thomas,

I have permissions for a folder and all its enclosed images set to "Read only" for me and all others.

If I try to tag or set color class for these images in Photo Mechanic PM will do so and the files are altered as "Modified" and "Last opened" info in Finder shows.

How is this possible? Can an application not honor file permissions set by the OS?

Photo Mechanic changes the permissions to writeable for the user, makes the change that you directed it to make, and then restores the permissions to their former state.  Photo Mechanic does this because so many users complained about problems with read-only files and the annoyance of having to switch to the Finder to make the files writeable and then have to switch back to PM to make the change.  It made sense to us, but perhaps it should be a preference.

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
Re: PM and OS X file permissions
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »
Kirk,

Thank you so much for clarifying this! I already thought I was bonkers ...

Maybe a preference would be nice. I try to keep my archive hard drives as close to a read only media (like a DVD) as possible.

Thomas