Author Topic: Advanced IPTC editing (Search and Replace)  (Read 13183 times)

Offline Project2501

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Advanced IPTC editing (Search and Replace)
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »
I posted this in the support section, and got the response below.

Figured I might open it up to the wider community, see if anyone has any ideas?

Rob,

Firstly, its version 4.6.5 of Photo Mechanic, and I'm on Windows 7 x64.

This problem is a bit double-barrelled, and I'm interested to see if anyone has a work around, or knows of something I'm missing.

I've got a backlog of some 7000 images to deal with, and most of what needs to be done I can do with the IPTC wizards and an appropriate use of variables.

However, all the keywords for these images is in the caption field, rather than the keyword field, and that all needs to be moved. So far so good I hear you say, use the tools at hand. Which would be great, if the captions weren't in both English -and- German. They are however divided by a ~. (German first).

What I'm looking for is a way of having PM run through every image, deleting everything up-to (and including) the tilde from the caption field. I gather that the search and replace function doesn't support wildcards?

I hope someone has a clever idea, or knows something I don't :)

I can't think of a way to accomplish this task with Photo Mechanic.

Sorry.

-Kirk

Here's to hoping :)

Rob.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Advanced IPTC editing (Search and Replace)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:46:45 PM »
This indeed (curently) can not be accomplished within Photomechanic. To achieve what you want you could resort to exiftool and some (perl) scripting. It doesn't strike me as tremendous complex thing, but nevertheless you'd need to do some programming...

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl