Author Topic: unable to render image dialogue  (Read 8064 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
unable to render image dialogue
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »
Hi;

Lately, and it has been getting worse with time, many of my thumbnails in PM display a "unable to render image" dialogue, however, when I open them in bridge or CD4/5 the image can be seen.

How can I stop this?  How can I see all my image thumbnails?

I am shooting withaa Canon  1Dmk3 and a 1DMKIV camera.  My PM version 4.6.5 and I am using snow leapord with latest updates.

Thank you,   WilloW

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: unable to render image dialogue
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
Ian,

Lately, and it has been getting worse with time, many of my thumbnails in PM display a "unable to render image" dialogue, however, when I open them in bridge or CD4/5 the image can be seen.

How can I stop this?  How can I see all my image thumbnails?

I am shooting with a Canon 1Dmk3 and a 1DMKIV camera.  My PM version 4.6.5 and I am using snow leapord with latest updates.

Do you have your Caching settings set to empty your cache on quit?  If not, set it to empty the disk cache on quit, then quit PM and start it up again.  Did the problem go away?

If you already had the disk cache set to empty itself on quit, do the images that are unable to render fail to render if you preview them, or change the thumbnail size?

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:08:53 PM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks for your reply.

The cache was set to "do not empty".  I reset cache to "empty of quit" and restarted PM.

The problem persists.

The images are not viewable despite resizing thumbnails or viewing with larger image window.

Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »
Iain,

The cache was set to "do not empty".  I reset cache to "empty of quit" and restarted PM.

The problem persists.

The images are not viewable despite resizing thumbnails or viewing with larger image window.

Can you send me one of your sample images and any sidecar files that go along with it?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »
Iain,

The problem persists.

I got your sample images.  The "8439" image is not a CR2 file.  It is a JPEG that has a .CR2 filename extension.  Any ideas as to why some of your images are getting their filename extensions changed from JPG to CR2?

Renaming your sample image makes it so that PM can render the file properly.  PM does not try multiple rendering engines in an attempt to render misnamed files.  If a file claims it is a CR2 then PM will only try to load the image as a CR2 file.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:37:51 PM »
Hi Kirk;

Interesting!!  I have no idea how or why the file name extension has changed.  Later today I will check all the other extensions and ensure they are correct.

It seems odd as everytime I open PM some files are visible while others are not - it varies.  I will check to ensure all of RAW files with the correct extension,  Iain

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 02:41:59 AM »
Hi Kirk

The beta version did nothing to solve this issue and I have reverted back to the original version.

I have checked all file extensions.  Oddly, some Jpegs were names cr2.

When I open PM many images cannot be rendered.  The number and files change after each opening of PM - it is not consistent.

If I move to the larger preview window, I cannot see the files in large view, however, I can see the thumbnails.  Then, when I move back to thumbnail view page many of the previously unviewable images can be viewed.

None of this is consistent other than:

1.  Many images cannot be viewed in thumbnail view
2:  When you move to the larger view window, the thumbnails at the page bottom are viewable.
3:  Upon going back to thumbnail view, many but not all the images are viewable
4:  Metadata can be read on some images, but not all.

All images and metadata can be viewed in Bridge.

I have no idea as the problem is not consistent with files.  Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 07:36:25 AM »
Iain,

The beta version did nothing to solve this issue and I have reverted back to the original version.

I have checked all file extensions.  Oddly, some Jpegs were names cr2.

When I open PM many images cannot be rendered.  The number and files change after each opening of PM - it is not consistent.

If I move to the larger preview window, I cannot see the files in large view, however, I can see the thumbnails.  Then, when I move back to thumbnail view page many of the previously unviewable images can be viewed.

None of this is consistent other than:

1.  Many images cannot be viewed in thumbnail view
2:  When you move to the larger view window, the thumbnails at the page bottom are viewable.
3:  Upon going back to thumbnail view, many but not all the images are viewable
4:  Metadata can be read on some images, but not all.

All images and metadata can be viewed in Bridge.

I have no idea as the problem is not consistent with files.

Until you find out what is causing some of your JPEG files to be renamed with a CR2 extension, there isn't much I can do about the rendering issue.  The renaming issue may also be the cause of the metadata issue.  Let me know when you've got that straightened out.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »
OK thanks for your help, Best Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »
Iain,

OK thanks for your help, Best Iain

Do you have any idea as to how your JPEG files are being renamed with a CR2 extension?

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I have no idea at all.  I went through 3 years wiorth of images last night and found 12 shots that had the incorrect extension.  The rest are OK. 

As mentioned earlier, the issue is not consistent.  On one opening of PM several images (RAW) will not be visable, then after closing & opening PM, or selecting the higher magnification window they will be visable.

I keep images in years mostly and it is very odd that the only images that are affected are 2006 and 2007 & a small portion of 2008.  These were the images that I used Bridge to metadata.  Any image from mid 2008 onwards that I have used PM exclusively for, render and show metadata perfectly. 

I cannot see how it can be a drive issue as I have 2007 and 2008 on the same drive!

The only consistent avenue is the use of bridge to set up the metadata - but this sounds unlikely also.,   Iain

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
Iain,

I have no idea at all.  I went through 3 years wiorth of images last night and found 12 shots that had the incorrect extension.  The rest are OK. 

As mentioned earlier, the issue is not consistent.  On one opening of PM several images (RAW) will not be visable, then after closing & opening PM, or selecting the higher magnification window they will be visable.

I keep images in years mostly and it is very odd that the only images that are affected are 2006 and 2007 & a small portion of 2008.  These were the images that I used Bridge to metadata.  Any image from mid 2008 onwards that I have used PM exclusively for, render and show metadata perfectly. 

I cannot see how it can be a drive issue as I have 2007 and 2008 on the same drive!

The only consistent avenue is the use of bridge to set up the metadata - but this sounds unlikely also.,   Iain

Can you share a sample file that is named correctly yet doesn't consistently render?

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
Hi Kirk

I did some more checking, which included talking to my partner who accessed the files sometime back.  She informed me that at one stage she ran a file re-namer through some files to change the name of a file.  Apparently the program didn't work! 

I would say that the program did work although it did not re-name the file as intended, but rather renamed the extension of many files.

I have re-run the file re-name program and replaced all extensions with .cr2 (the base folder that keeps the RAW files) and PM now renders the images   :)

Of course the metadata still is problematic on the files in 2 year folders of RAW data, but I am willing to leave this for a while as I've run out of time for the moment.

Thank you.  I have sent a PM also, Iain