Author Topic: Beta version comments  (Read 5529 times)

Offline kashari

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Beta version comments
« on: October 05, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »
FYI for Support:   After having problems with 4.6.5 accessing a network drive,  I downloaded the Beta 4.6.6 and had no problems with it, but it expired.  I then tried 4.6.6.2, but started having problems with it hanging up again with 'not responding' when accessing that drive.  Today I downloaded 4.6.6.3, it seems a bit better than '2', but I still ended up with it not responding a few times.   I'll work it some more tomorrow and see how it goes.   

Vista Home Premium SP1
Lenovo SL500
2.00ghz  4gb RAM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Beta version comments
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
FYI for Support:   After having problems with 4.6.5 accessing a network drive,  I downloaded the Beta 4.6.6 and had no problems with it, but it expired.  I then tried 4.6.6.2, but started having problems with it hanging up again with 'not responding' when accessing that drive.  Today I downloaded 4.6.6.3, it seems a bit better than '2', but I still ended up with it not responding a few times.   I'll work it some more tomorrow and see how it goes.   

Vista Home Premium SP1
Lenovo SL500
2.00ghz  4gb RAM

There were no changes to the disc I/O from 4.6.6 beta 1-3.  Are you perhaps running out of RAM thus incurring a performance penalty due to virtual memory paging?

-Kirk

Offline kashari

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »

Vista Home Premium SP1
Lenovo SL500
2.00ghz  4gb RAM

There were no changes to the disc I/O from 4.6.6 beta 1-3.  Are you perhaps running out of RAM thus incurring a performance penalty due to virtual memory paging?

-Kirk

Thanks for responding, Kirk.  I don't know and IIRC,  I did a cold boot after it (2) hung up one time, just to make sure I was starting fresh,  but I'll start the performance monitor and keep an eye on it. 

Offline kashari

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »
Kirk,  I don't seem to have any apparent memory, disk or network usage bottlenecks.  Memory usage never goes over 45%, CPU 25%.

When I right-click/open in new contact sheet on a network folder it pauses for a minute, clears the right-side 'frame', then it goes to Not Responding and hangs there.  These same folders were accessible with minimal delay under the 1st Beta.  I've made no system changes during that time.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »
Kirk,  I don't seem to have any apparent memory, disk or network usage bottlenecks.  Memory usage never goes over 45%, CPU 25%.

When I right-click/open in new contact sheet on a network folder it pauses for a minute, clears the right-side 'frame', then it goes to Not Responding and hangs there.  These same folders were accessible with minimal delay under the 1st Beta.  I've made no system changes during that time.

OK, well I'd be happy to build you a logging version and find out where the bottleneck is.  Let me know if you're interested.

-Kirk

Offline kashari

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »

OK, well I'd be happy to build you a logging version and find out where the bottleneck is.  Let me know if you're interested.

-Kirk

Oh,  I just remembered there was a Flash update that installed yesterday,  could that affect anything?

If the logging version would cause you a lot of work,  then don't worry about it for now.  I'm considering re-thinking my storage scheme and may drop the network drive anyway.  But if it would be helpful for you, then I'd be happy to run it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »

Oh,  I just remembered there was a Flash update that installed yesterday,  could that affect anything?

If the logging version would cause you a lot of work,  then don't worry about it for now.  I'm considering re-thinking my storage scheme and may drop the network drive anyway.  But if it would be helpful for you, then I'd be happy to run it.

It's not a large task.  It just may take several iterations to narrow down where the problem is occurring.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 04:56:08 PM »

It's not a large task.  It just may take several iterations to narrow down where the problem is occurring.  I just need to know if you have the time to run the logging version, put it through its paces, and then give me the log file via email.  This may take repeated attempts to complete.  Let me know if you wish to proceed.

-Kirk

Offline kashari

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 12:17:28 PM »
Hi Kirk,  I think I'll pass on it,  I know I won't have time to do a good job on it right now.