Author Topic: How do you change a batch of file names?  (Read 7403 times)

Offline 305librarian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How do you change a batch of file names?
« on: October 09, 2010, 07:39:29 AM »
I am running 64-bit W7 with version 4.6.5 of PM.

I want to change the file names of about 100 photos within a folder using PM.  Is there an easy way to do this? 

To the pros who may read this, do you archive your old photos with the year first?  Ex., 2010 Doral Country Club? 

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How do you change a batch of file names?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:32:54 AM »
I am running 64-bit W7 with version 4.6.5 of PM.

I want to change the file names of about 100 photos within a folder using PM.  Is there an easy way to do this? 

To the pros who may read this, do you archive your old photos with the year first?  Ex., 2010 Doral Country Club? 

Select your photos and use the Rename command on the File menu.  The manual explains how to use the Rename dialog.  You can get the manual here:

http://www.camerabits.com/site/downloads.html

-Kirk

Offline kate mc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 06:48:28 PM »

I catalog all my photos with year first.  so the folder name for an event that was shot today would read 2010-10-11.  I don't include the event name in the folder containing my RAW files.  I add keywords to the metadata when I import them.  It keeps it a lot more tidy and consistent.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:47:40 AM »

I use the name of the folder, the sequence number and the date in the file name, for example, Home 245 10-10-10.CR2+JPG
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:13:07 AM »

I've tried a few different naming systems that all had their drawbacks, but eventually found a system that is quite simple and has proved to be foolproof for me over the years. In my opinion year-month-day should always go first. I follow that with a very brief and general description, then the 4 digit frame number. Simple but effective. For example: 20101018 F1 Race 0492. Renaming is easily accomplished using variables; {datesort} F1 Race {frame4}. The photos reside inside a folder titled 20101018 F1 Race; {datesort} F1 Race. The nice thing about always using year-month-day first is that you can put all kinds of photos from different dates into the same folder and by default they will still end up in a logical order, even if you're just viewing the files in a window.

If naming old pre-digital or vintage photos I will still use the same system even if I don't know exactly when it was shot. If I don't even know the year I'll just have a guess, then use 00 for the month and/or the day if I have no idea about those either, like 19860000. That way the date is ALWAYS 8 digits so at least it will be roughly sorted.

The only downfall with the frame number is when you get to 9999 and the camera reverts back to frame number 0001. Those frames will not end up in chronological order when sorted by filename. For those rare occasions, I just use the {seqn} variable and replace the camera's frame numbers starting with 0001.

Some people find it necessary to use hour-minute-second as well after the date, like 20101018 135612 F1Race 0492; {datesort} {hour24}{minute}{second} F1 Race {frame4}. I've never found the need to go that far, and I'd prefer to keep the file names from getting too long. Using the subsecond variable may eliminate the need for a frame number, but I haven't tested that. Given the frame rate many cameras are capable of, I'm not actually sure if it's foolproof or not.

Some people don't use any description at all in their filenames, and rely on keywords to find things. Even though I ALWAYS use Keywords, I still find a brief description in the filename handy when doing things without Photo Mechanic... like moving files around, giving files to other people, or other housekeeping type duties. Looking at dozens of files with names like this 20101018 0492 isn't very helpful when I can't see a preview or access keywords.

I'm sure everyone will have their own ideas, but this sure works well for me. Hope it helps.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 03:50:16 AM »
You have to consider what is more important to you...if you rank your files by frame # or by sequence #.
I prefer by sequence number because I like to rearrange photos before renaming them (it`s always possible to sort them by capture time).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi