Author Topic: NX2 Date Created field in Origin section does not want time data  (Read 1838 times)

Offline photomy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am running PM version 4.6.5 on Windows XP Professional 64 bit

I noticed that the PM IPTC/XMP pad automatically writes one of four date choices and includes a time when it is used to add metadata to a file from PM.

Why does this date have to be written to the file?  In my case a NEF file. There does not seem to be an option to turn it off.  The date shot is already in the file, and modified dates are tracked so what is the purpose of another date added into metadata?

Second, and the real reason for this post, I noticed that NX2 gives an error message because of the time data added to the field  Date Created.  The error message only shows up if you edit one of the metadata fields and then save.  It seems to not like the PM date information that is written into that field.

This is a small deal but annoying because it slows things down to click OK on the error box to get rid of it every time a small change is made to metadata while in NX2.  I realize I could just never use NX2 metadata editing and just ignore this, but sometimes while editing it is faster to just make a small change while there.

Thanks for any ideas,

Tom
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 11:16:21 PM by photomy »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: NX2 Date Created field in Origin section does not want time data
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:45:44 AM »
Tom,

I am running PM version 4.6.5 on Windows XP Professional 64 bit

I noticed that the PM IPTC/XMP pad automatically writes one of four date choices and includes a time when it is used to add metadata to a file from PM.

Why does this date have to be written to the file?  In my case a NEF file. There does not seem to be an option to turn it off.  The date shot is already in the file, and modified dates are tracked so what is the purpose of another date added into metadata?

The IPTC Stationery Pad will only create date/time information when the 'Apply' checkbox (to the left of the date controls) is checked.  The IPTC Info dialog will always change the date/time when you save.  The date/time information refers to the metadata itself, not the date/time that the image was captured or modified.  It's just a part of the various metadata specifications (IPTC and IPTC4XMP).  The time is part of the DateCreated field in the Photoshop name space.

Quote from: photomy
Second, and the real reason for this post, I noticed that NX2 gives an error message because of the time data added to the field  Date Created.  The error message only shows up if you edit one of the metadata fields and then save.  It seems to not like the PM date information that is written into that field.

This is a small deal but annoying because it slows things down to click OK on the error box to get rid of it every time a small change is made to metadata while in NX2.  I realize I could just never use NX2 metadata editing and just ignore this, but sometimes while editing it is faster to just make a small change while there.

That's odd.  I haven't heard of that before.  Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, Photo Mechanic (and I'm sure others) all format this field as so:

2008-12-30T11:17:55+08:00

It's just the way all apps should format that field when writing, and how all apps should parse that field when reading.  I'll try and contact the Capture NX developers and see what they have to say about this issue.

-Kirk

Offline photomy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: NX2 Date Created field in Origin section does not want time data
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:10:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. and great support.