Author Topic: Feature request: Virtual folders  (Read 3440 times)

Offline arnklit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Feature request: Virtual folders
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:33:38 AM »
We've got contact sheets.
We can combine contact sheets and save them as favorites.
We can easily search for images from different contact sheets/folders.
But what I really feel is missing is a way to save selected or tagged images to a favorite virtual folder (like labels in Picasa or playlists in iTunes). This would allow for easy prototyping of slideshows or uploading to the web.
It should be relatively easy to implement, all that's needed is a file containing the references the files (filenames and pathnames).
Of course I'd expect all the usual functions to work as usual, like sorting, arrangement etc.

Currently I'm forced to export the files as JPG's to other applications like Picasa, LR3 etc. to emulate this easy library function, but I hate filling up my computer with unnecessary files.
I'm using Nikon Capture NX2, which works flawlessly with PM, for editing. PM reads and displays the embedded high resolution JPG's allowing a NEF-only environment. I usually print directly from NX2, but when needed I export to TIFF to open and print in Photoshop.

Is there any hope of getting such a simple function into the next release? I, like many other users, am still waiting for the full-blown library manager, but the Virtual Folders would be an enormous help. As a matter of fact it could probably solve 99% of my needs.

Kind regards, Bo Arnklit.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Feature request: Virtual folders
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:36:08 AM »
Bo,

We've got contact sheets.
We can combine contact sheets and save them as favorites.
We can easily search for images from different contact sheets/folders.
But what I really feel is missing is a way to save selected or tagged images to a favorite virtual folder (like labels in Picasa or playlists in iTunes). This would allow for easy prototyping of slideshows or uploading to the web.
It should be relatively easy to implement, all that's needed is a file containing the references the files (filenames and pathnames).
Of course I'd expect all the usual functions to work as usual, like sorting, arrangement etc.

Currently I'm forced to export the files as JPG's to other applications like Picasa, LR3 etc. to emulate this easy library function, but I hate filling up my computer with unnecessary files.
I'm using Nikon Capture NX2, which works flawlessly with PM, for editing. PM reads and displays the embedded high resolution JPG's allowing a NEF-only environment. I usually print directly from NX2, but when needed I export to TIFF to open and print in Photoshop.

Is there any hope of getting such a simple function into the next release? I, like many other users, am still waiting for the full-blown library manager, but the Virtual Folders would be an enormous help. As a matter of fact it could probably solve 99% of my needs.

The cataloging feature will have this functionality.  I don't think it would be worthwhile to add a stopgap feature in the meantime.

-Kirk

Offline arnklit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Feature request: Virtual folders
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:47:09 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I suppose it all depends on how far down the development cycle the catalog manager actually is.
Can you give any predictions, even of a beta?

Bo.