Author Topic: Installing older PM on a new windows 7 machine  (Read 3641 times)

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Installing older PM on a new windows 7 machine
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »
Hi Kirk and all,

Love Photo Mechanic.  I just built a new computer and it runs Windows 7 64 bit OS.  I have Photo Mechanic on my old desktop and a laptop.  I want to take it out of the old desktop and install it in the new computer.  The last installed version in the old desktop is 4.5.4.  My disk must be an even older version since it had a year of updates.  Can I use my install disk to install the older version and get the updates to the 4.5.4 that I am running on the old system?  Will it work with Windows 7 64 bit?  Is there another place I should download from?

Is there major differences with the newest version out now? I realize that you have a page with the version updates listed, but in a nut shell, if I am happy using the 4.5.4, is there anything super that I am missing?  After laying out the money for the new system it may be a while before I can or want to upgrade, unless I am really missing something.

Again great work and program.

Thanks
Paul W Gillespie
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Installing older PM on a new windows 7 machine
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
Paul,

Love Photo Mechanic.  I just built a new computer and it runs Windows 7 64 bit OS.  I have Photo Mechanic on my old desktop and a laptop.  I want to take it out of the old desktop and install it in the new computer.  The last installed version in the old desktop is 4.5.4.  My disk must be an even older version since it had a year of updates.  Can I use my install disk to install the older version and get the updates to the 4.5.4 that I am running on the old system?  Will it work with Windows 7 64 bit?  Is there another place I should download from?

Is there major differences with the newest version out now? I realize that you have a page with the version updates listed, but in a nut shell, if I am happy using the 4.5.4, is there anything super that I am missing?  After laying out the money for the new system it may be a while before I can or want to upgrade, unless I am really missing something.

Just download and install the 4.5.4 version:

http://www.camerabits.com/site/downloadarchives.html

-Kirk

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:32:44 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Kirk,  All installed and running. One more question though.  Now when I am going through my photos and tagging or untagging them with the T key or clicking in the box it takes about three seconds for the tag to show up.  I does not matter if it is in the preview or contact sheet.  This is way slower than on any other system I have ever used.  I hope there is a work around because this slows the work flow considerably.  My system is pretty fast. Intel i7 processor, 8gigs of RAM, fast video card.  Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for the quick response Kirk,  All installed and running. One more question though.  Now when I am going through my photos and tagging or untagging them with the T key or clicking in the box it takes about three seconds for the tag to show up.  I does not matter if it is in the preview or contact sheet.  This is way slower than on any other system I have ever used.  I hope there is a work around because this slows the work flow considerably.  My system is pretty fast. Intel i7 processor, 8gigs of RAM, fast video card.  Any ideas?

What kinds of files are you tagging?

-Kirk

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »
They are D3 RAW+Jpegs.  Never had this problem on my Pentium 4 computer with these files. I thought the new computer would be way faster.  It is faster when it comes to loading the images.  I can fly through them in the preview and not wait for them to load after a few.

Thanks
Paul
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
Paul,

They are D3 RAW+Jpegs.  Never had this problem on my Pentium 4 computer with these files. I thought the new computer would be way faster.  It is faster when it comes to loading the images.  I can fly through them in the preview and not wait for them to load after a few.

Have you set PM to put soft edits (tag, color class, rating, etc.) into your IPTC/XMP data?  This will slow things down, but results in better survivability of the soft edits.  Check the Files tab of the Preferences dialog.

Otherwise, I don't know what would cause any slowdown.  Unfortunately PM 4.5.x is no longer being maintained and any optimizations or bug fixes are only done to the current release.  You can always try the latest version as a demo and see if the problem persists.  If it does persist in the latest version (PM 4.6.6 beta 3 available in the Announcements section of the forums) then let me know and I'll be sure to address it.

-Kirk

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  I changed the preference you mentioned and no luck.  I will upgrade soon, just have to pay for the new computer first.  Until then I will manage.

Either way you and Camera Bits are the best for answering all of our questions quicky.  Great customer service.

Paul
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD

Offline pwgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »
After doing some testing it seems that if I have the folder with the images on the C drive it works fine, but if they are on the separate storage drive then there is the slow tagging.  Which is weird because on the old system it was also on a SATA I drive, and it is on a SATA II drive on the new system.  Could it be a problem with my cache settings?  They are at the defaults.  I have all 1TB HD and 8 gigs of Ram.  What are the ideal cache/memory settings?

Thanks
Paul
Paul W. Gillespie
Photographer
The Capital Newspaper
Annapolis, MD

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:38:42 PM »
Paul,

After doing some testing it seems that if I have the folder with the images on the C drive it works fine, but if they are on the separate storage drive then there is the slow tagging.  Which is weird because on the old system it was also on a SATA I drive, and it is on a SATA II drive on the new system.  Could it be a problem with my cache settings?  They are at the defaults.  I have all 1TB HD and 8 gigs of Ram.  What are the ideal cache/memory settings?

For your system I would set the Disk Cache size to 1024MB and the Memory Cache size to 768MB.

-Kirk