Author Topic: Pixel size variables of embedded jpeg  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Stephane Lacelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Pixel size variables of embedded jpeg
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »
Hi,

The embedded jpeg file within a NEF file starts out with the native resolution of the camera. Capture NX2 can resize the embedded jpeg to whatever values you specify. The current {x} {y} variables are giving me the native pixel size of the camera. That's good. Better would be to get the pixel size of the embedded jpeg. For example, we could have new {xe} and {ye} variables.

This would tell me right off the bat if a) the NEF had been resize and b) to what size.

One other request would be to add a variable showing the name of the current 'version' burned into the NEF file via Capture NX2. I don't know if you have access to (or reverse engineered) that value within the NEF file.

Thanks for PM

Offline Stephane Lacelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Pixel size variables of embedded jpeg
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »
Is the pixel size of the embedded data even available to PM?

What about the 'version' name stored in the NEF. Is this something available to PM and therefore something that could be made available in a variable. I realize that 'version' can contain multiple names and is therefore not unique. Maybe the variable should simply tell us if version if empty or not. At least I'd be able to tell if the image has multiple post-processing flavors.

Regards,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »
Is the pixel size of the embedded data even available to PM?

What about the 'version' name stored in the NEF. Is this something available to PM and therefore something that could be made available in a variable. I realize that 'version' can contain multiple names and is therefore not unique. Maybe the variable should simply tell us if version if empty or not. At least I'd be able to tell if the image has multiple post-processing flavors.

Yes the width, height, and size of the embedded JPEG is available to PM.  It would be hard to render otherwise.

Try the {software} variable for your last issue.

-Kirk

Offline Stephane Lacelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »
Thanks, but it's not quite what I want.

Let me explain the workflow I'm after.

In CNX2, once I'm done with my adjustments, I often create a version and call it 'master'. I also often create different "output ready" versions for flickr, email, print, etc. All of these versions are created and named within CNX2, but only one embedded image is saved which is then used by PM.

When using PM to look at the embedded jpeg, I don't know which one I'm looking at. I'd like PM to be able to either give me the 'version name' of the current embedded jpeg or (if it's not possible to easily extract this information from the NEF file) the size of the embedded jpeg. Having this information available as variables would allow me to quickly find out which embedded jpeg I'm currently looking at.

Makes sense?

Thanks,
-Stephan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
Stephan,

Thanks, but it's not quite what I want.

Let me explain the workflow I'm after.

In CNX2, once I'm done with my adjustments, I often create a version and call it 'master'. I also often create different "output ready" versions for flickr, email, print, etc. All of these versions are created and named within CNX2, but only one embedded image is saved which is then used by PM.

When using PM to look at the embedded jpeg, I don't know which one I'm looking at. I'd like PM to be able to either give me the 'version name' of the current embedded jpeg or (if it's not possible to easily extract this information from the NEF file) the size of the embedded jpeg. Having this information available as variables would allow me to quickly find out which embedded jpeg I'm currently looking at.

Makes sense?

Yes, it does.

-Kirk