Author Topic: 4.6.6 broke ratings communication from PM to Bibble Pro 5  (Read 5665 times)

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
4.6.6 broke ratings communication from PM to Bibble Pro 5
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:25:09 AM »
I spent much of a day this weekend thinking I'd just somehow not got my laptop set up properly, only to discover when I got home that the problem existed on my desktop as well as soon as I'd upgraded to 4.6.6 (from 4.6.5; Laptop running XP, Desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64).

I'm telling PM to write the rating information into both a sidecar file, and into the original NEF file, and looking at the files by brute force I see that the rating IS in fact in both the sidecar and the NEF.  But now they don't show up in Bibble Pro 5 (no recent update, same config that worked for thousands and thousands of photos before).

Anybody else seen a problem?  Anybody else setting ratings in PM and wanting to see them in Bibble, and can tell me exactly how they've configured both products?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.6.6 broke ratings communication from PM to Bibble Pro 5
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »
I spent much of a day this weekend thinking I'd just somehow not got my laptop set up properly, only to discover when I got home that the problem existed on my desktop as well as soon as I'd upgraded to 4.6.6 (from 4.6.5; Laptop running XP, Desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64).

I'm telling PM to write the rating information into both a sidecar file, and into the original NEF file, and looking at the files by brute force I see that the rating IS in fact in both the sidecar and the NEF.  But now they don't show up in Bibble Pro 5 (no recent update, same config that worked for thousands and thousands of photos before).

Anybody else seen a problem?  Anybody else setting ratings in PM and wanting to see them in Bibble, and can tell me exactly how they've configured both products?

Is Bibble Pro 5 able to work correctly with images that you worked with a few days prior to your upgrade to PM 4.6.6?

-Kirk

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »
Yes; but this doesn't actually show much.  Bibble writes its own XMP files (filename.orig-extension.xmp, different from the filename.xmp that PM uses), so for files I've worked with before, the information Bibble prefers is in a different place.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:10:59 PM »
Yes; but this doesn't actually show much.  Bibble writes its own XMP files (filename.orig-extension.xmp, different from the filename.xmp that PM uses), so for files I've worked with before, the information Bibble prefers is in a different place.

Does rating information make its way into the 'Bibble' XMP files?  Do you have any idea why Bibble decided to add another XMP file when all they would have had to do is add their information into the standard XMP file (like all Adobe apps, PM and other applications do)?

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »
Bibble uses a specialized XMP file to handle things like supporting multiple version of the image, according to their web site.  (I've been using Bibble much longer than I've used Photo Mechanic.)

The Bibble-proprietary XMP files do contain the ratings information (in an old, successful, directory).  I don't recall that I've ever experimented to see if changes made in Bibble propagate back to being visible in PM; it seems unlikely on the face of it, but I don't care.  For me PM is very specifically for the initial big sort of everything at once, and I don't go back to use it again later on the same photos.

I'm well aware it's not you job to support Bibble here; I started here because I observed a change on two systems when I upgraded PM (and didn't upgrade or reconfigure Bibble in either case), which makes me think in terms of something having changed in PM. 

I had a fuss getting things to communicate the first time around, but I resolved that, and have been using it happily for months (being able to eliminate a workaround I used for a while requiring moving the photos at each level into separate directories).  In the short run I can go back to the workaround, but that's really very undesirable in the long run.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
Bibble uses a specialized XMP file to handle things like supporting multiple version of the image, according to their web site.  (I've been using Bibble much longer than I've used Photo Mechanic.)

The Bibble-proprietary XMP files do contain the ratings information (in an old, successful, directory).  I don't recall that I've ever experimented to see if changes made in Bibble propagate back to being visible in PM; it seems unlikely on the face of it, but I don't care.  For me PM is very specifically for the initial big sort of everything at once, and I don't go back to use it again later on the same photos.

I'm well aware it's not you job to support Bibble here; I started here because I observed a change on two systems when I upgraded PM (and didn't upgrade or reconfigure Bibble in either case), which makes me think in terms of something having changed in PM. 

I had a fuss getting things to communicate the first time around, but I resolved that, and have been using it happily for months (being able to eliminate a workaround I used for a while requiring moving the photos at each level into separate directories).  In the short run I can go back to the workaround, but that's really very undesirable in the long run.

We've been supporting .BIB files for some time now, making sure that when a photo is renamed that any .ext.BIB files are also renamed at the same time and that when copying, uploading or moving photos, that the .ext.BIB files make it to the same destination.

Without knowing what information Bibble keys off of, I have no idea how to help in getting to a solution for you.  Could you ask their support folks where they expect to get ratings information from when Bibble sees a photo for the first time?

Thanks,

-Kirk