Author Topic: Importing Keywords  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Molls-Phot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Importing Keywords
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:35:38 AM »
I'm trialling the latest version of PM at the moment.  I run Mac OS X 10.5.8 on an Intel-based MacBook Pro.

Up until now I have been using Bridge in CS3 to organise, rename and keyword my images. However, it has got to a point where I have to relaunch for it to do simple tasks hence my looking at alternatives. I'm quite impressed with PM already, especially the speed although it's still a steep learning curve. I am writing to ask if there is a simple way to import the 1,500+ keywords I have accumulated in Bridge straight into PM's keyword function?

This could make the difference as to whether I buy it or not! By the way, since I installed PM Bridge no longer works...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Importing Keywords
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:58:49 AM »
I'm trialling the latest version of PM at the moment.  I run Mac OS X 10.5.8 on an Intel-based MacBook Pro.

Up until now I have been using Bridge in CS3 to organise, rename and keyword my images. However, it has got to a point where I have to relaunch for it to do simple tasks hence my looking at alternatives. I'm quite impressed with PM already, especially the speed although it's still a steep learning curve. I am writing to ask if there is a simple way to import the 1,500+ keywords I have accumulated in Bridge straight into PM's keyword function?

Is it just a linear list of Keywords?  Or are they hierarchical?

Quote from: Molls-Phot
This could make the difference as to whether I buy it or not! By the way, since I installed PM Bridge no longer works...

I don't see how this is possible.  The Mac version of PM doesn't have an installer to muck with any other application's files.

-Kirk

Offline jcduss

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:54:32 PM »
And is it possible to import a .xls keeword list ?  or just .txt ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »
And is it possible to import a .xls keeword list ?  or just .txt ?

Just plain text files.

-Kirk

Offline Molls-Phot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
I guess they are hierarchical as they are under half a dozen headings. Re Bridge not starting, I'm just stating that since I installed PM when I open Bridge it just hangs and I have to force quit.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:00:38 PM »
I guess they are hierarchical as they are under half a dozen headings. Re Bridge not starting, I'm just stating that since I installed PM when I open Bridge it just hangs and I have to force quit.

If you restart your computer does Bridge start then?

Photo Mechanic can import hierarchical keywords into its Structured Keywords dialog/panel.  Basically they're just text files with one keyword per line, and the structure is specified by the number of tabs preceding the keyword.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Molls-Phot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 03:40:04 AM »
That's good to know so how is it done? The only import command I can find is in preferences and as someone not very technical I can't see how to do it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 06:53:36 AM »
That's good to know so how is it done? The only import command I can find is in preferences and as someone not very technical I can't see how to do it.

Photo Mechanic can import hierarchical keywords into its Structured Keywords dialog/panel.  You need to open up the Structured Keywords panel from the Image menu.  Then use the Merge button if you want to keep the sample set of hierarchical keywords and mix yours in.  Or if you only want your keywords and don't want the sample set, then use the Load button.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Molls-Phot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
Which file do I navigate to to find the keywords? I can see an xml folder in library/application support/adobe/bridge but when I merge it transfers some coding language. Guess it's not that simple.

BTW, Bridge still won't work at all. Still hangs at launch and I have to force quit. On another tack, I tried to find some images using PM search facility using keywords but it doesn't work very well either. It found four from one year when I asked to search the last decades files.

Now either I'm being stupid or their are bugs in the system.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 12:31:49 PM »
Which file do I navigate to to find the keywords? I can see an xml folder in library/application support/adobe/bridge but when I merge it transfers some coding language. Guess it's not that simple.

Is there no way to export the keywords to a text file?

BTW, Bridge still won't work at all. Still hangs at launch and I have to force quit. On another tack, I tried to find some images using PM search facility using keywords but it doesn't work very well either. It found four from one year when I asked to search the last decades files.[/quote]

Since Bridge is not our product, I suggest contacting Adobe for support.  It is just not possible for PM to interfere with the working of another application.  There are many users of PM that also use Bridge in their workflow without issue.

If Adobe is of no help in the matter, come back here and we'll see what we can do to help you get Adobe Bridge working on your system again.

-Kirk